cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mudweasel
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Intermittent Slow/Non-Existent ADSL Speed - Any help appreciated please!

Long story short, been on BT Broadband for many years and have generally had little problems. Download speed has nearly always been anywhere between 6.0 - 7.4 mbps. However, in the last 2-3 weeks, this has gone totally haywire.

At some points in the day, I can still achieve the above speeds, but for a good portion of each day (at least 50%, but not time specific) it can drop to as low as 0.54mbps... and can stay around that level for hours, making using the internet painful and streaming totally impossible. I should also say that I'm using a HH3 and that is wired directly into my PC, although obviously I also use wireless for other items.

Now, I'm not totally savvy with all settings etc, but this is what I've done so far;

- All speedtests have been done with http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com

- I've looked at my hub settings and it is showing the following;

- ( 81.660000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8311 Kbps downstream

- ( 84.170000) DSL noise margin: 21.80 dB upstream, 6.80 dB downstream

- Looking at the above, I would think that's ok, but it does not reflect what I'm getting on Speedtest???

- I've run the further diagnotic tests from speedtest and got the following as an example;

BT.jpg

- I've contacted BT and raised a fault, but over the last week, all they've done is told me that everything is fine and all I need to do is reset my HH3, which I've done.

- I've also tried a second HH3 which I had, to see if the hub made any difference, but same results.

So, in my simple brain, the figures showing whats 'going into' the HH3 look ok, but what's 'coming out' isn't working properly - is that correct, or over-simplifying it?

Any ideas would be great please, as BT technical help don't seem to want to do much more.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Intermittent Slow/Non-Existent ADSL Speed - Any help appreciated please!

initially looks like congestion which would normally mean that during off peak, say up to 4pm, your download speed is ok but at peak time, 4pm till midnight, your download speed is poor?

can you run btspeedtster diagnaostic test off peak and then again at peak time and post bothe results  using wired conenction

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mudweasel
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi - thanks for the quick response.

I've been running speedtest regularly over the last week or so - an example of which was yesterday (Sunday), where initially at 06:30 hrs it was 5.14, yet by 07:15 it had dropped to 0.53.

On Wednesday of last week, it was 0.96 at 08:15 and yet at 14:25 it was back up to 6.88.

Friday it went something like this;

06:53 - 6.91

07:01 - 7.01

07:18 - 1.12

07:23 - 0.90

07:39 - 0.50

07:46 - 6.25 (this was after resetting the HH3

07:54 - 1.68

08:09 - 7.30

12:08 - 1.54

12:49 - 6.91

I'll happily bow to your better knowledge, but seems like a significant fluctuation at odd times for congestion - and not something that we've suffered with before. This was like someone flicking a switch about 2-3 weeks ago... one day it was fine (running at between 6-7mbps and the next day (and onwards, we've been experiencing patterns like above.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Saturday/sunday is basically a peak time so really need to be during the week  

however thet stats you posted are not what I would expect from congestion

have you tried quiet line test for noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mudweasel
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Still keeping a log of when it goes slow and when it's normal - but being at work during the week, it's difficult to test peak times...!!! Will get back on that one once I have meaningful data.

I have tried a quiet test - and everything seemed fine. However, there is a caveat to that... our house doesn't seem to have a master socket, so I had to use the main one in our living room.

On the subject of master sockets, our house was built in 2000 and where the line enters the house there is a grey 'cable protector' (but no box) outside. We then have a double socket in the living room which is at the back of the house, a single socket in the living room (different area - designed to plug Sky into), a single socket upstairs in each of the three bedrooms.... none of which has a removeable plate of any sorts. The double socket in the living room has BT stamped on it, but no test socket once unscrewed.

Is something like the above a regular occurence? Is there any other way of knowing which would be the master socket (if indeed, one of them is)?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

The master socket would normally be the first socket in your home where the openreach cable enters from outside. You will have a master socket in your home but it could looks just like all the others and not the standard nte5. All extension sockets should lead back to the master socket

0 Ratings
Mudweasel
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks again for coming back so quickly - and sorry for my ignorance on these things!

When you say that the master socket would likely be the first socket in the home, I'm assuming that that would be on the ground floor; i.e. even though our living room is at the back (furthest away from where the cables enter, but the only place on the ground floor with sockets) it would be the nearest socket in the living room - they wouldn't have made the master socket to be upstairs would they (one of the upstairs bedrooms is at the front of the house)?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Often master socket is in hall near front door but it could be anywhere in your home but usually very near where line enters your home

0 Ratings