cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skater
Message 1 of 18

Intermittent password request pop-up

Hi, I seem to be experiencing the problem that was occurring end of last year when very regularly the server does not accept a connection and asks for a password. When the password is submitted the pop-up reappears because it thinks the password is incorrect. A day later it can have disappeared and the next day it is back. Seems more of a problem at busy hours. This happens most frequently with the outgoing server as well as the secondary account. Very frustrating! What is the way to get it fixed? many thanks

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Intermittent password request pop-up

Welcome! Your problem sounds similar to one discussed at great length on this forum earlier in the year, where people using email clients were randomly getting messages to the effect that their password was not recognised; it could often be cured simply by logging on to webmail. BT said it was a problem with the Yahoo! servers, but were not too good at getting it fixed with any great urgency.

It has quietened down in recent months and usually seems to correct itself fairly quickly when it does occur. The BT moderators who oversee the forum have invited people to contact them for help if it persists. You can do that here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Jax003
Message 3 of 18

I am having the same Problem. Email works fine for a few days then the messages pop up again about incorrect password. This has been happening since I joined bt in May. It's very annoying especially as I am waiting on an important email.

0 Ratings
tdichell
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

same with me as well.... very very annoying
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 18

@Jax003 wrote:

It's very annoying especially as I am waiting on an important email. 

It is annoying and it should have been fixed by now. But meanwhile you can access your email fairly quickly by logging in to BT Yahoo! and bookmarking the Mail. You can leave messages to be downloaded later when your email client is able to log in.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

Problem back again this morning.
0 Ratings
PGhops
Message 7 of 18

same problem here for last 12 montyhs on old wireless macbook so switched over to gmail - problem solved.

But now POP ups demanding and rejecting passwords are starting on new iMac with ethernet cable....

could get no connection with BTYahoo for over an hour having my password rejected...

even turned email access to manual only..... then I wondered whether BT could send me an email - so 

I registered on Yahoo using the same password (ie it IS correct) and immediately received an email from BT community care forums - so it can work and it would appear all to do with BT workings......

If this happens again I will consider invoicing BT for time wasting as I can't afford to be kept from my emails;

I am amazed BT hasn't been sued for failing to solve this fault which seems to have been a recurring issue despite BT mediators announcing it is cured, and locking off forums.  So what are our options?  Accidentally cancel our direct debits all at once ? Switch to Orange even with its intermittent signal here, or Sky? Cable? May be there's a helpful technophilic lawyer out there?

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

This old problem has returned for me again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

I found this on the Apple support forum. It might be worth a try:

"I have a solution that has lasted a couple of days for me so far. I hope I am not judging the success too soon!

I have just changed my yahoo password to contain only lower case and numbers. I haven't had another failure since!

The reason I tried this is because I only started getting the problem when I changed my password a week ago. That new password had upper and lower case letters as well as numbers and the problem started to occur the following day. My previous password had had only lower case letters and numbers. Nothing else I did had any effect and I observed all the same symptoms that others reported on the many support threads"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3800540?start=15&tstart=0

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

I haven't changed my password so that doesn't apply.

I'm certainly not going to change it in the middle of a problem.

0 Ratings