cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Intermittently unable to download emails using BT-Yahoo POP3

Every few days or so I am presently being locked out of the BT-Yahoo POP3 email download server. This can last from 12 to 48 hours and then the service resumes. During that time, I am able to access webmail, but cannot download emails into an email client such as Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird, or on another computer. I have wasted hours on BT's Live Chat facility (in India), but the problem is beyond their scope, and has been escalated to the email technical team on several occasions. I have phoned the BT email helpline (in Dublin), and the problem has twice been escalated to the email technical team. However, the email technical team have never contacted me and the problem persists. This has been going on now for nearly two months.

Prior to that there have been various other BT email issues, but that is another story.

Checking the various dynamically allocated IP addresses (discoverable using IP Chicken) assigned by BT to my router, they are all assessed by Cisco Talos as having a POOR REPUTATION and are blacklisted by PBL.SPAMHAUS.ORG. This seems to be at the heart of the problem.

The POP3 access problem is exemplified by this message, given to me when I emailed postmaster@btinternet.com:

20170502 09:52:05 078D40DD POP3 AUTH ERROR '<my email address>' - IMS node 10.110.13.252 rejected login request - from ip 86.157.111.253 - -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.

Basically, BT seems to be allocating IP addresses to customer routers which are blacklisted. Indeed, their own POP3 IP address 86.157.111.253 is also blacklisted by PBL.SPAMHAUS.ORG and is given a POOR REPUTATION by Cisco Talos.

Do other people have this problem? Has anyone found a solution?

Given the longterm poor email service provided by BT, is there anyone out there who would know how to start a class action against them? Any eager lawyers reading this? I have requested refunds from BT for their poor service, but the requests have always been ignored.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Intermittently unable to download emails using BT-Yahoo POP3

Have a read of this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Mac-Mail-BTinternet-pop3-mail-account-not-connecting/td-p/1730071

Good luck with trying a court action. Keep us posted on that one.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

All ISP's dynamic IP address pools are blacklisted, it has nothing to do with your problem.

0 Ratings
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the problem could be?

0 Ratings
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Re: "Good luck with trying a court action. Keep us posted on that one."

Smiley Happy

!!

0 Ratings
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Re. the link to the previous and recent thread provided by gg30340. Though I'm working on a PC, that more or less summarizes the problem. I also have noticed the way I can sometimes login through yahoo, and am sometimes routed to the BT mail login page, even when trying to reach the Yahoo login page. But logging in through Yahoo, doesn't resolve this particular issue (or at least it didn't do so yesterday).

I've had this one before from BT when trying to resolve issues: "We don't support email clients" is the BT catch all when it's in the too hard to do box." BT do not say that anywhere in their "Terms and Conditions", at least not that I've seen.

Is it worth trying to pursue the possibility of being transferred to BT Mail, or does that have its own set of problems?

I have a gmail a/c, which works fine....

0 Ratings
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Could one of the BT moderators pick up on this?  Looks like an ongoing problem.

Any other moderators out there who know something about this problem?

I have also been a BT customer with an email address that I've used for more than 20 years.

Thanks, in hope ...

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You can not request to be migrated to BTMail. The migration has been put on indefinite hold and there has been no information forthcoming as why it was stopped or when and if it will ever start again.

As regards the T & C. All it says regarding email is that they will provide you with an email service. It does not say through email clients or indeed webmail however if you are able to log on via webmail that means that you are being provided with email. If you can not log on via webmail BT do support that and will get it working for you.

It is unlikely that you will only be able to get your email via an email client and at the same time not be able to get it via webmail but if you are in that postion it goes back to the default, BT will get your webmail working.

As you will have seen on the thread I linked to, the moderators did become involved, which resulted in the BT email team becoming involved, which resulted in the reply posted in message 40 so I doubt you will get any further information or a solution. 

0 Ratings
johndavidson44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Re: Mac Mail - BTinternet pop3 mail account not connecting

For myself (tho' I have had other btinternet problems), this particular issue only started a few months ago. Is it likely to go away spontaneously as well?

Is the problem associated only with the primary email address? Does setting up another btinternet email address make any difference?

Is there any possibility of getting switched to BTMail, or is that out of the frying pan into the fire?

Is there any pressure that can be brought to bear on BT to encourage them to fix the problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Re: Mac Mail - BTinternet pop3 mail account not connecting

@johndavidson44 wrote:

For myself (tho' I have had other btinternet problems), this particular issue only started a few months ago. Is it likely to go away spontaneously as well?

Yes, quite likely

Is the problem associated only with the primary email address? Does setting up another btinternet email address make any difference?

No, it seems to be indiscriminate

Is there any possibility of getting switched to BTMail, or is that out of the frying pan into the fire?

None whatsoever, and probably yes respectively.

Is there any pressure that can be brought to bear on BT to encourage them to fix the problem?

Apparently not, even complaints to the CEO seem to fall on deaf ears.

Thanks

0 Ratings