cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Internal wiring fault and bt visit.

Not sure what the best solution might be . I have an internal line fault. Mild noise on line ok for voice but wrecking my bb. Via the test socket all is well. However I'm due soon to have fibre on my exchange. I had wondered about waiting till then and if I order Inf2 bt will install a new filtered socket anyway on my master socket I suspect will cure the problem. (I have a the split style socket and micro-filters atm.) If I call Bt out for the fault before are they likely to fit a new master filter as their solution? Seems a waste of a call out fee if so.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Internal wiring fault and bt visit.

If your line is ok from test socket then calling out engineer could easily result in being charged but could result in new socket - bit expensive for just a new socket and 10 min of time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Bit of a head scratcher tbh. Distinct hiss on the line goes when on the test socket. However the test socket BB sn is higher than the normal 5-6db so I do wonder

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:24.0 / 12.5
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

if the noise margin increases when you connected to the cleaner test socket connection then that is ok as that gives more scope for connection speed.  as noise margin reduces to normal 6db you normally would see an increase in your conenction speed

sounds more likely a faulty faceplate ( don't go faulty often but do go faulty) or bad extension wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@imjolly wrote:

if the noise margin increases when you connected to the cleaner test socket connection then that is ok as that gives more scope for connection speed.  as noise margin reduces to normal 6db you normally would see an increase in your conenction speed

sounds more likely a faulty faceplate ( don't go faulty often but do go faulty) or bad extension wiring

Prior to the original fault SN was 24/6-7 then I went to 11/10 for a week or so with DL speeds of 0.35Mb before I was irritated enough to run some CAT5E from the test socket to the PC. Initially after switching to the SN went to 24/5 and the DL to 6+Mb for a few days but post a 16hr power cut its been at 24/12 for 3 days and back to 4Mb. Hard to be sure what is causing what.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

the connection drops are causing the increase in noise margin resulting inthe lower speeds  the lower speeds then result in lower profile which reduces the download speed hence you previous post with 0.35mb profile nad low download speed

you should get 8mb connection with 7.15mb profile when your line is stable for 3+days and profile will recover - I coveered this in your other posts

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Sure I appreciate the suggestions - its just taking longer to reduce the SN this time than before when the CAT5E was run it took ~48hrs. Until I have a nice stable connection via the test socket I'm not confident that the only problem is internal wiring. Just want to be sure before I try to fix things.

0 Ratings