cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: International Caller Display

Go to solution

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to separate the phishing calls from my family and friends abroad. My caller ID at home works fine from UK numbers but all I get is 'International out-of-area' from abroad.
The caller ID on my desk phone at work seems much better. It uses BT's ISDN2 service and it displays virtually all international numbers.
My brother in law recently phoned me at home from North Carolina and I got the usual 'International' display. After our conversation I asked him to phone my office number just to see what happens. You might already have guessed that... the caller ID worked perfectly. To my mind this demonstrates that his phone company does provide BT with valid caller ID information. For some reason BT passes it on to my office phone but doesn't pass it on to my home phone.
Surely my home exchange can't be too old, it gives me 76Mb/s broadband.
It would be ludicrous to contemplate downgrading my home line to ISDN2 in order to get properly functioning caller ID, apart from the expense I would lose the broadband.
Am I missing something? I've paid for 'Caller Display'. Is there another option I've overlooked called something like 'International Caller Display'?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@circuitmaster wrote:

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at not being able to separate the phishing calls from my family and friends abroad. My caller ID at home works fine from UK numbers but all I get is 'International out-of-area' from abroad.
The caller ID on my desk phone at work seems much better. It uses BT's ISDN2 service and it displays virtually all international numbers.
My brother in law recently phoned me at home from North Carolina and I got the usual 'International' display. After our conversation I asked him to phone my office number just to see what happens. You might already have guessed that... the caller ID worked perfectly. To my mind this demonstrates that his phone company does provide BT with valid caller ID information. For some reason BT passes it on to my office phone but doesn't pass it on to my home phone.
Surely my home exchange can't be too old, it gives me 76Mb/s broadband.
It would be ludicrous to contemplate downgrading my home line to ISDN2 in order to get properly functioning caller ID, apart from the expense, I would lose the broadband.
Am I missing something? I've paid for 'Caller ID'. Is there another option I've overlooked called something like 'International Caller ID'?

International caller ID is being implemented now, Exchange by Exchange. It is supposed to be fully implemented by Autumn 2014.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Is there anywhere that gives details of the rollout schedule? It would be nice to have some idea of when this will be implemented at my exchange. I have family and friends abroad and have wanted International Caller Display on my BT line for years. My Virgin Media line has it and it makes a real difference, especially when filtering overseas telemarketing and scam phone calls. Of course my mobile numbers have International Caller Display and, if I divert my BT line to my VM line or mobile numbers, the International Caller Display is revealed!

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Not seen any rollout plans, but this was given by BT to the Parlimentary select committee. See 19.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

It may still be a BT problem if the Telco (such as Sky or TalkTalk) is restricted by underlying BT hardware. Let's concentrate on the fact that most non-BT services and even some BT ones do supply international caller id. so it is therefore not generally a problem with the overseas Telco not supplying the information but a lacking with BT equipment and services.

It's a bit moot now as BT are having to comply and will be rolling out the service (that many of us feel we have already been paying for) between autumn 2913 and autumn 2014. As mentioned above, see http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmcumeds/writev/636-i/ntc008.htm for details but also search this site and the web for 'international caller id' for more information and comments.

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
Kpjc
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution
I receive several international call and last week one appeared as 00 followed by the country code and number but later calls appeared as INTERNATIONAL so it can be done but not all the time. Why?
0 Ratings
woodsterry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

I have posed this question myself.

My daughter lives in Melbourne Australia and I called her on 20th March 2014 and "voila" she can now see its me calling. How come Australia can do it but UK cant. We pass on caller id to them surely they do the same back to us. BT must be able to forward it to us customers. Stop those cold callers from Asia etc dead. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

It is supposed to be rolling out now. Exchanges needed to be upgraded but it is SUPPOSED to be completed by Autumn 2014.

I have started seeing the International number on my Truecall unit, but not sure whether this is VOIP numbers , number spoofing or true intenational caller ID.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings