Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cerbera
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

International Caller Display

Go to solution

I currently receive caller display for all interna UK calls. However when I receive calls from abroad - Germany, France, the display only shows "international". 

My previous supplier was SKY and I did receive international caller display without a problem.

Is there a way to receive this service with BT?

Please help as this is very annoying...I need to know when I don't want to speak to mys sister! Smiley Happy 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: International Caller Display

Go to solution

If the service provider in the country concerned, does not pass on the Caller Line Identification information to BT, then BT can only display "International"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

hi Cerbera,

Sorry you will not get the caller Id of international callers on BT.

The  caller ID will only show international, this is because not all caller id systems use the same type of tones.

You could get an answer machine (with the speaker on) and let ALL callers go through to this and only pick up on those that you wish to speak to, and let your poor sisterSmiley Sad go through to the answer machine.  Naughty youSmiley Very Happy

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Cerbera
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks guys!!

Mys sister is not that bad really!Smiley Happy

My only other questions is, how come SKY was able to display the international callers.

I received a letter from them saying that they are updating the phone line and after the update I was able to see the numbers.

Considering BT is the main phone company in the UK I would have thought they would be able to do the same. It obviously has nothing to do with netweork from abroad but the local supplier and what they allow on their line. 

Anyway, thans for your quick responses!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@Cerbera wrote:

Thanks guys!!

Mys sister is not that bad really!Smiley Happy

My only other questions is, how come SKY was able to display the international callers.

I received a letter from them saying that they are updating the phone line and after the update I was able to see the numbers.

Considering BT is the main phone company in the UK I would have thought they would be able to do the same. It obviously has nothing to do with netweork from abroad but the local supplier and what they allow on their line. 

Anyway, thans for your quick responses!

I guessed she wasn't .

Not sure about SKY, I know a year or so ago they started transferring some of their customers on to SVBN (Sky Voice and Broadband Network.

This might have had something to do with it. Just a guess.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Felim_Doyle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

I have to disagree with the responses above.

To the best of my knowledge, all other UK telecoms companies, both fixed line and mobile, supply international caller identification to the terminal equipment (i.e. the customer's telephone or caller display unit). Bearing in mind that most other telcos provide their service over BT lines but using their own equipment installed at the BT exchange, I see no reason why BT do not provide this information for international calls.

If you divert your calls from a BT line to a number on another fixed-line or mobile network, the international caller display information is displayed. I have both a BT line and a Virgin Media line and the VM line displays international calls, even those diverted from the BT line, although this was not always the case. VM undertook a significant upgrade, over several years, to the diversity of exchange equipment that they inherited as part of the merger of various cable companies.

Virgin Media cable customers, like myself, have a direct connection to a VM exchange whereas most other non-BT land-line customers are connected to equipment at a BT exchange. BT Broadband Talk customers do get international caller id. but this service operates over their broadband connection rather than the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).

The tones that supply the caller id. information originate from the local exchange and not from overseas. If you are receiving caller display for UK originated calls then your telephone or caller display unit is compatible with the tones sent from your local exchange and this covers international calls too.

The only technical reason that I can think of for BT not supplying international caller display would have to be an inherent fault in System-X and System-Y exchanges which prevents them from correctly processing the international flag in the signalling of calls. I have had technical discussions with several knowledgeable people on this subject over ten years ago, though I won't try to repeat all of that here, but it is my understanding that such exchanges are software upgradeable yet the problem still persists.

I pay for the caller display service on my BT line and it is becoming increasingly more frustrating that I do not get international caller id. especially with so many overseas telephone scams these days. It would be nice to be able to tell friends and family from phishing expeditions.

In summary, if other telcos can do this, why can't BT?

I am, of course, open to correction and comment on any of my points.

Félim Doyle, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
(SMAY)
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Very interesting reading.

0 Ratings
runi10
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Very much agree with the point Felm-doyle raised.

I was with Talktalk for years until I moved to BT in April this year. Until then, all the inernational call were displayed on the phones. Since I moved to BT, I still use the same hansets, the international caller display is not working. Can't underdtand how bt is unable to do this unless they plan to interduce this with an 'extra charges'.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@runi10 wrote:

Very much agree with the point Felm-doyle raised.

I was with Talktalk for years until I moved to BT in April this year. Until then, all the inernational call were displayed on the phones. Since I moved to BT, I still use the same hansets, the international caller display is not working. Can't underdtand how bt is unable to do this unless they plan to interduce this with an 'extra charges'.

You might agree, but the point he made is wrong.

Caller ID does NOT show on all networks with calls from all countries.

This is a copy and paste from a SKY mod about a customers lack of Caller ID on their network:

[quote]"Unfortunately Neil there is not a lot we can do , I get this also, it depends on where the call is from , Sometimes the number shows and others it will just show as international ."[/Quote]

and from a TalkTalk Community manager:

[Quote]

Hi Prompton,
As confirmed above international calls do not display on Caller Display enabled handsets. Depending on the handset this will display "international" "unknown" or "withheld" or just not display anything at all.
Regards
M:smileyhappy:

Mark[/Quote]

If you do a search on Sky or Talk Talk forums you will find plenty of other posts about the lack of Caller ID.

It is Not just a BT problem.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
bilco99
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I've got a BT landline but often I phone home from abroad using my UK mobile. My wife finds that mostly my caller ID shows up OK but there are occasions when it doesn't.  Sometimes even calling on the same day from the same country can lead to a mix of caller ID working and not working. The only thing I can think of what's happening is that my mobile is roaming on different networks and that is what affects Caller ID.

0 Ratings