Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattandLottie
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

International Spam Text?

Hi

Just checked my bill and I have been charged 4 x £0.252 (£1.008) to receive 4 text messages from an international number 00001925353903.  I have googled the number and it appears to be a Spam Scam which looking at the phone number eminates from the USA. The messages were all received over a 30 minute period on the same day.  The content of the first 3 of the messages is "#smp" and the final one is "#smp RBTF5KEJ"  

I have added the number to my block list so presumably future messages will be deleted, but before or after they have been charged to my mobile acount?

Is there anything sinister about the content of these messages?  Incidentally I have not opened the messages, just seen them in preview.

Should I bring this to the notice of the BT Customer Services team?

Thanks in anticipation of someone shedding some light on this.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Damien1
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: International Spam Text?

Now you have blocked them hopefully no more should come through I would certainly call customer services and ask them to investigate and also ask for a refund of the charge
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

why would you get a refund?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@Devon_Dave wrote:
why would you get a refund?

Because there's no charge for receiving texts, wherever they come from. 25.2p is the cost of sending a message to an international number (see p34 of the Tariff Guide).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Damien1
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Why wouldn't you get a refund as said its free to receive texts and the op didn't ask for it.bt allowed it through if it's a scam it's there line their responsibility
0 Ratings
bibby
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

premium rate messages do charge when received. a short code subscription service must have been joined, need to unsubscribe and block prem rate in profile, i had same issue.
0 Ratings