Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

International dialling code for UK mobile

Go to solution

I really wasn't sure where to ask this so thought I would just try here. I am building a website that includes mobile and landline details and want to include a link so that mobile users can click on it to make a phone call no matter where they are in the world. 

For the landline I can add the link tel:00441726 etc leaving out the zero in front of the local dialling code and it works fine. If I try doing the same thing on the mobile tel:00447810 etc the phone rings twice and is answered by a strange BT message saying the test to the BT cloud worked. Does anybody know what is going on here and how this should be done?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: International dialling code for UK mobile

Go to solution

The convention is +447810 etc. The international dialling code is not always 00, the + indicates international dialling code for that country.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Isn't that effectively the same thing? I'm writing the number normally as if calling inside the UK but the link includes the international prefix so it works from anywhere in the world. 

I'll give it a go, though it's strange that it works for the landline but not mobile.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

All my numbers on my mobile are stored in the format +447810 etc and they just work anywhere in the world without having to worry what the international code is. I suspect + is routed differently from 00 when dialling from UK.

But, yes, the discrepancy does seem strange.

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks you are right. Apparently 0044 doesn't work for people calling from North America but +44 is fine. I've tested it now on the site and it appears to be working. It just seemed a bit weird at first including a weblink as tel:+447810. The landline combination was less fussy but I've adopted the same format. 

0 Ratings