cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

International sms messages

hi all, 4 international sms appeared on my july bill at 25p each, i contacted bt and asked what this was about, i was told that i must have sent a text to someone who was abroad, i said this was not the case but rather than get uptight about it i paid the £1.

however i raised my concern with bt that this may be some sort of scam. I asked if thye could set a cap on my account and could they also put  a block on me sending sms messages to a phone that wasnt in the uk, they say they had done this. I also posted a question on this forum.

Yesterday I receieved an account alert email messsage, once again international sms have appeared in my bill this time not 4 but 70.

i spoke to an agent at bt, they said that i had sent the messages to someonein greenland as the number on the bill started as +9.

Again I said this wasnt the case, i then mentioned what had happened in july, the agent said the calls in july didnt start with +9, unfortunately they did as i have aprint out of the bill.

I did send 4 sms messages to a number similar to the ones on the most recent bill but that number started with 07594, not +9

luckily i had called the number from my landline 3 mins before sending the sms, that isnt shown as an international call but just a standard call to a mobile from a bt landline.

The bt agent couldnt give me an answer when i told her this, also i sent another sms to the number the next morning at 8.25 and that wasnt shown as an international sms on my useage history.

the bt agent insisted that the sms were sent by me to someone in green land, well i visited the recipient of the sms on sunday (the next day) and they werent in green land.

The upshot is that I spent 30 mins on tuesday morning speaking to the agent at 7.30 am , i advised her that i wanted to make a complaint, she said she would get her manager to call me within 24hrs, i am still waiting for that call.

Is this grounds to leave bt mobile without any penalties, should i complain to ofcom, 

I have had this account for 3 months and it has been a real pain in the neck.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: International sms messages

Sounds a bit suspect to have 70 surely? If you've got the bill it's worth looking at the times and dates, if theresults loads around the same time on the same day it could be from an app you've downloaded perhaps? (Granted a dodgy app). If you've changed any software on your phone recently it may be worth having some Google searches about that software to see if anyone else has queried it online.

If it's spread out throughout the month yet generally around similar time frames, is there something you do on your phone around that time? Use an app to check weather or something, something routine for you? Again could be an app that's had an update and now does some background task which is 'sending' these sms?

Might be worth backing up your files and resetting your phone and see if these charges stop, as a just in case. If the charges continue on a freshly reset phone with no data on it, then it's gotta be a mess up somewhere down the line,

My 2p, I hope it may be of use, might be something really simple (but annoying and costly of course)
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

hi thanks for taking the time to respond, its an iphone 6s that doesnt have any apps on it, i keep it updated.

Re apps, you can only download apps for an iphone from the app store and these are vetted for malware and viruses, i also dont use the phone for social media etc, just for my work calls and texts.

the messages all appear within 30 mins of each other.

As I say, bt arent bothered, I have asked them to reduce my out of contract extras to 0 but they cant do this.

I dont understandy why they didnt reduce my out of contract extras to £5 the last time I called when this happened in july.

I have had this phone for 6months, 3 months on giff gaff and at the end of august 3 months on bt, on giff gaff I had no problems like this.  Previous to this I had my old iphone 6 with giff gaff  for 2 years with no bogus sms

To be honest I spoken to citizens advice and they have advised me to contact ofcom concerning bt and their  poor customer service.

0 Ratings
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

by the way read this from the bt mobile help pages, i dont know if this is whats happened to me or not 

Why are there charges on my bill from abroad when I haven't been away?

Occasionally foreign networks can 'cross over' into the UK and your phone can pick them up and start using them.

That might mean you get charged premium rates as if you were abroad. We do everything we can to stop this happening. But if it's happened to you, please 

0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Ah I see, yeah so ignore everything I said about apps then (I guess I straight up assumed android). I don't think the issue here is any form of crossing over, the reason being you said the numbers are +9 . If it was a standard 07xxxx number that was coming up as a charge then yes I'd agree, but if the bills are shoeing an international destination then that's different.

Now 30 mins apart seems too coincidental for my liking, if it was random times during daytime hours then it would look more like usage. But being 30 mins apart through seems more like a system error incorrectly tracking the texts

Complaining to ofcom will get you nowhere st this stage, ofcom (to my knowledge) will only take on a case if you've had a complaint open with the service provider for 8 weeks and reached deadlock.

I know you say you've already contacted them, but the only thing I would suggest is to unfortunately give them another try (possibly on live chat if it's easier) , get yourself a complaint raised and ask them to get the bill investigated . I do know with my previous provider (02) I had them investigate an issue with my service (couldn't ring out but could receive calls) , it took them a couple of days to sort out but their system had missed my allowance out of my contract (lol).

But for the record - I used to fix phones for a living, if you're software is clear, then it's gotta be the network
0 Ratings
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

hi thanks for the advice, as I say on tuesday when i got the email alert from bt i called them at 7am, 

i spent 40 mins discussing this with the agent, whos only response was that i must have text someone who was abroad, she said they must have been in greenland.

unfortunatley not, it was bishop auckland, i went to visit our friends the day after sending the international sms and sent them a tex twhen we left at 8,25 am, that is shown on my phone but not as an international text.

i also called the friend on our landline and left them a message before sending the texts, that isnt shown as an international call.

I spoke to someone via the online chat yesterday and asked them to get the manager to call me, the agent could see the history from my previous call and he apologised that no one had called back, that was yesterday at 7.00am and i am still waiting for a manager to call.

Citizens advice said that when I asked the agent how to complain, instead of telling me that she would get a manager to clal me, she should have given me the details of how to complain.

Quite frankly I believe they will fob you off with any old rubbish because they either dont know what has happened and they certainlky wont give me a refund.

As I say, i will keep paying for the contract ( onlky using the phone for data) and then leave as soon as possible

which is a shame because i was going to talk friends who are currently on giff gaff to move accross to bt

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 11

Hi @jeepster1961 Sorry you have not been able to get a satisfactory answer to your question and you have not been called back by a manager. 

I've checked with the Mobile team and they have advised that if sending message to a saved contact to delete the contact ensuring to only use 07555XXXXX as the number. Don’t use +44.

We will be happy to help chase this up for you if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

hi, i have got the contact save with +44, the number begins 07594

0 Ratings
jeepster1961
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

hi i clicked in yiour username but there is no link to contact the mods

i am still waiting for a call from the bt help desk manager, i am begining to  think this was just a lie to get me off the line

if i dont recieve  a call by 12noon on tuesday ( that will be over 7 days)i am going to complain to bt and then send a letter to ofcom

bt customer service is worse than rubbish

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 10 of 11

Hi @jeepster1961,

I've made the link available to you under my profile. You can find it by clicking on my user name Moderator and then on contact the mods.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings