cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Internet Censorship

Go to solution

I tried to connect to https://www.richplanet.net/ which is an independent media outlet, but I couldn't connect with automatic DNS settings. When I changed my DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 as the primary and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary, I could connect. Is this blocked on my wifi? If so, how and/or why are BT allowed to randomly block access to websites like this? How do I know that tomorrow another website I visit won't be blocked? Where can I get notified of these blocks? Where does it say in my contract that my internet access will be restricted like this? Under what law is this allowed? I tried to call BT today to get the answers to these questions, but the customer support agent was absolutely useless and couldn't help one bit. She kept saying she isn't trained to deal with this sort of enquiry. So, why doesn't BT have people trained about this? After I told her the site is about independent journalism she said I should try to get my media and news from "reputable websites" whatever that means (which probably means mainstream media sites such as the BBC, SKY, etc. and other dodgy media corporations with strong BIAS and CENSORSHIP already due to silently enforced D-notices ). I also wanted to know how this was possible, if this was a BT censorship issue or not; if it's a fault to get it fixed, if not then tell me what other websites are blacklisted, if other BT customers are affected by this block etc. and she couldn't answer any of my questions! If the internet website is blocked due to censorship, why doesn't the page tell me this? A simple splash page that says "This site has been blocked due to X and through Y law and the block will be in effect for Z time"? Instead I had to waste an hour on the line to someone who tried to fix a DNS block by hard resetting my router......I seemed to know more about DNS than her..... they really are useless customer support agents aren't they....

So if anyone can explain to me if this is a DNS block, if so, under which law this is allowed, if not, what's going on, etc. please could you help me?! I don't have any parental controls enabled and I want to speak to someone who can tell me what is going on. I thought I could connect to the WORLD WIDE WEB with this wifi, not a censored version of the real thing. It feels very orwellian and the worst part is that, unsurprisingly, your customer support agents have NO IDEA about what's going on! Thanks!

I thought I had a contract with British Telecom, not Chinese Telecom? I suppose I'll just have to not ask any questions, and only visit websites that big brother allow me to.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Internet Censorship

Go to solution

Check in your MyBT to see if BT Web Protect has been turned on.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@aaaaaaaa I've just checked that page from work and my mobile, both are on BT and both provide access to that site quite normally. So if there is censorship being applied by BT, it looks as though they have gone through the effort to isolate and ban you from that site. Which you've gotta admit is a pretty floored way of censoring the internet and what a particular media outlet has to say. Generally as a rule, if you want to apply censorship you would block everyone not just one person but who's to say that you don't have a global legion of followers on social media waiting to hear your latest conspiracy theories... Good luck in your righteous quest for truth... 

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know that the site is no longer censored due to my complaints! Seems that BT listen to their customers after all!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Nigel, what are the DNS settings on your BT connection? Are they set to automatic? Or to a specific DNS server?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I'd imagine that they're set to the default ones as I haven't changed anything

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@aaaaaaaa Well, well, well, what a surprise. It wasn't BT censorship after all!!!

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/26/cloudflare_isc_f_dns_root/

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@aaaaaaaawrote:

Thanks for letting me know that the site is no longer censored due to my complaints! Seems that BT listen to their customers after all!

I do not believe that site was censored by BT at all.

Even last night after the original complaint, I checked our 3 computers, 3 tablets and 2 iphones without any problem. Worked this morning on the local 4g and HSBC wifi.

Oh, and the site is excellent for those who love a conspiracy theory with their cuppa! 

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@Carlusha wrote:

I do not believe that site was censored by BT at all.

Nobody except the OP ever thought it was.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Didn’t even need to disable web protect. The site became available the next day.

0 Ratings