cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwl_25
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Internet Connection down shortly after install / OpenReach Job Still Open???

I ordered Infinity a couple of weeks ago, and the Openreach Engineer visited a couple of days ago.

The install went great, and the speeds I got during were AMAZING!

However, about three hours after the engineer left, my HH3's Broadband Light light changed to a steady Orange, and I lost all Internet Access. I called the Support and they said this was because things don't go properly active until Midnight. (This seemed odd, as it had worked perfectly during the afternoon).

The following morning it still wasn't working, so I called the support again, and they said it was because the OpenReach Engineer hadn't updated his notes to say he'd completed the job.

Another 48hrs later, (3 of which spent on hold to BT), I'm no further finding out what is wrong, or when it's going to be fixed. All I get is "Your job is still open, that's why it doesn't work".

All the order-tracking website says is "Your Broadband order is in hand with a member of our team, if there are any issues we will contact you. Please continue to check online for further updates".

Any ideas how I can get ANY info from BT as to when this might get fixed? Is there a magic number to call? 😉

Further Info:

All 3 lights on the VDSL Modem light, so it's getting Sync. (I originally thought it may have overheated, and that's all the problem is).

Does anyone know what the default IP of it is, or if it responds to ping? Plugging a laptop directly into it and pinging the Broadcat IP of all the private IP ranges doesn't find it - so I'm wondering if it IS just the modem that's broken?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
seab20
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Internet Connection down shortly after install / OpenReach Job Still Open???

your modem is broke, get em to come and bring annother

0 Ratings
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: Internet Connection down shortly after install / OpenReach Job Still Open???

I don't think its your modem, as you say you have 3 green lights... Its looks like what BT told you is correct .i.e. If engineer for what ever reason has not closed job correctly, BT think your line has not been installed, the only way to sort this out is to make another appointment and when engineer calls up to say they are on the way, tell them no visit needed, just please close job off complete.... Now really BT should be able to do this over the phone, however because the work is done by Openreach this causes problems ( one of our managers had the same problem and it took 3 attempts to finally sort out ).... Just on the off chance you could try turning off just the HUB and then see if when switched on it goes straight orange or goes red/purple ( this is the hub authenticating )... Good luck

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Load of rubbish once the engineer has connected you line in the cabinet and in your home that is it. Nothing to do with marking the order as complete or not active until midnight. My order wasn't marked as complete for 2 days after install, the engineer installed everything at 10am and the connecti on has never dropped since then other than usual resyncs at around midnight taking 10 mins
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi cwl_25,

If you can drop us an email we will have a look into whats going on for you.

If you can fill out the "contact us" link in my profile, that would be great.

Cheers,
Chris

BT Moderator Team
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
cwl_25
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks very much everyone for responding!

I've filled in the form as per ChristopherP' instruction.

champ1970 - powering on the hub, the light just goes to Orange - no red flashing (i saw this flashing when it did work originally, so know what you're referring to).

seab20 - yeah, that's what I thought - it's just a question of locating my copper cable in the Cabinet and swapping it to another switch/port in there - that's all the engineer has to do. It's odd though that the Modem does sync to the VDSL signal... that would suggest the modem is OK? However I have read post after post about these Modems overheating or generally being flakey.

Thanks again, I'll post back what the resolution turns out to be. Hopefully soon 😉

0 Ratings
champ1970
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Sorry seab20, I didn't know you where an expert, how long have you worked for BT/Openreach ? Now I don't know the exact situation concerning this customer, however I was just trying to give some helpful advice, as this is what this forum was created for.

0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Indeed but as you have read what the op has said you will know that it was working perfectly so clearly is activated. I have seen this many times and it is almost always the modem. The lights on the modem do not matter they are generaly on when it is faulty. You can take the hub out of the equation if you like and try a direct connection to the modem (look up how to do this) but with the amount of faulty ones around and almost no fault hubs there's a good chance your is bad
0 Ratings
cwl_25
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

An update, in case it's useful for anyone in the same situation.

I called BT again today to see what's going as again I'd heard nothing back.

This time, they said it's because the order hadn't gone through properly. So, nothing to do with the 'complex problem at the exchange' that they told me yesterday.

They've re-ordered the entire package, and I now have to wait yet another week with no internet for this new activation date/engineer install. And take another half day off work.

I'll be watching to see if all the engineer does is swap out the modem...

Anyway, enough of my moaning. 

Thanks again to the people that responded.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Cwl_25 you seem to be getting routine output from BT's random excuse generator I bet you are right and there is an issue with the modem. If you were with BT before check to see if your old ADSL hub will still sync you maybe lucky as if they have mucked up the new service the old one should be still live.

0 Ratings