cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Da_Matser
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Internet Dropping Out: 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200

I am using a 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 with a BT Home Hub 5 (HH5) and keep suffering dropouts.

The HH5 is permanently connected to the internet and the extender 1200 is permanently connected to the HH5 on 5GHz.

However, I am suffering dropouts with three devices connected to the extender:

• Windows 7 PC w/ TP-LINK 802.11ac Network Adapter (5GHz).  This is permanently connected to the extender, but intermittently cannot access the internet.  Resetting the adapter (via Windows troubleshooter) temporarily fixes the issue.  I have tried both static and DHCP IP addresses to no avail.  If I perform an ipconfig the adapter settings (IP address, subnet mask and Gateway) are fine.

• Ecobee3 thermostat (2.4Ghz).  This randomly switches connection from the 192.168.1 range to a 169.254 address and also loses the Gateway and DNS addresses (revert to 0.0.0.0).  It is permanently connected to the extender but the inexplicable adaptor setting changes obviously break the internet connection.  I have now tried a static IP address and will monitor.

• iPhone SE (5GHz).  This also is permanently connected to the extender but loses internet connection intermittently.  I don’t have any further info on this.

One thing that may be worth mentioning is I have set the HH5 (192.168.1.254) to keep the extender on address (192.168.1.253) so I know where it is.  There are no issues between the extender and hub; just this mix of issues with the connected devices.  I have customised the extender SSIDs, but the passwords are the same as the HH5.

Please help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Internet Dropping Out: 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200

I've never had much luck with repeaters or extenders for wi-fi. I now have a 2nd wireless access point at the other side of the house connected via a powerline adapter broadcasting the same SSID names and using the same passwords works well for me.
0 Ratings
Da_Matser
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks @Jonkarra

But with the measly four ports you get on the HH5, I can't use powerline unless I get an additional switch/hub or change the router and then it's getting messy because of where it's situated.  I would also need to an additional mains socket at the hub location. An extender would be an elegant solution - if it worked!

Think I might try a Netgear extender.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

You can increase the number of ports by adding an Ethernet switch, they are cheap and readily available.

Wireless repeaters nearly alway perform poorly, with a low throughput when they do work.

0 Ratings
Da_Matser
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Like I said @Keith_Beddoe it would be messy (as it's on my home entertainment unit) and wouldn't the switch also eat up a mains socket, which I don't have anyway?

I will have to look into this if the Netgear doesn't do the job.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Ultimately it's your money but I've tested out 3 repeaters previously and found them all to be useless and provide a level of service that made them unfit for purpose. I've recently purchased an ASUS RP-AC68U I've got it in Access point mode currently. However, I did try it in repeater mode and it worked for 5 minutes I had it active.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Yes you would need a socket for the switch. Some of the BT hotspot devices do have through sockets which does help.

They will work on short, non-filtered mains extension leads.

I doubt that the Netgear will be much better.

0 Ratings