cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

Internet Explorer - Mouse monitoring - is this threat real or hyped?

I've just been told about this latest threat:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/12/ie_stupidly_exposes_cursor_movements/

Do any of the technical people here know anything about it? Is it a real threat or is it hype?

How many of the teccies use Internet Explorer? What other browsers do they recommend, please?

Nice news to end the week!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Internet Explorer - Mouse monitoring - is this threat real or hyped?

If you have any doubts at all about IE, you probably be pleased with a switch to Chrome or Firefox.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

I suspect it's a lot less of a threat than it sounds.  A web site can track your cursor as you move around the page.  This is supported by all web browsers.  The problem with IE is that the site can continue to track the mouse even if it isn't within the browser window.

There's a theoretical possibility that a malicious web site could somehow track what you're clicking on when you click on a series of buttons - for instance to log into a bank web site.  But that assumes that you are viewing the malicious web site in one window and the home banking in the other.

Personally I use Firefox mostly these days - or a slimmed-down version called Pale Moon on my low-powered netbook PC.

I looked at Chrome, but decided I didn't trust a web browser from a huge advertising company.

0 Ratings
arron1718
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

If you use IE i think BT should step in and ban you from the internet

better switch to chrome/firefox fast

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

I still use IE for some things.  So long as you keep up-to-date with the security patches and take a bit of care, it isn't really that insecure.

These days, Adobe Acrobat reader and Java can be just as much of a security risk.

0 Ratings