Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TehDoubleJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Internet Speed and Stability Issues

Go to solution

Hello. I have been using BT internet for roughly a year now and up untill now the service has been generally excellent. However recently I have been having issues with the internet connection. At random times during the day I get a surge in packet loss on programs and on occasion totally dropped connection. Firefox(and internet explorer) both struggle to load web pages(Even these BT forums).

Restarting the BT Home Hub appears to help for a short time however the problems soon return.

Below is the readout from the Home hubs connection stats.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 02:41:21
Downstream:14 Mbps
Upstream:1.22 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.5 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.9 dB / 18.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.1 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):13396139 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):368237 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):893202 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):7843 / 0

Any Assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Internet Speed and Stability Issues

Go to solution

for 2hrs connection time you have a very large number of crc/hec errors and error seconds.

are you connected to the test or master socket?  do you have other sockets apart from the master?

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option2  should hear nothing and best with a corded phone   if cordless dull hum is normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TehDoubleJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Currently the filter is attached directly to the main BT socket. There are no other fixed sockets aside from this one, there is an extension that runs from the filter to upstairs. This has been there long before these issues started.

The Quiet line test seems ok(corded phone also). I will remove the extensions and try another quiet line test with a corded phone tomorrow. Is it best to plug the phone directly into the socket or into the filter to test?

I will also try the Test socket.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket    Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

as you are on adsl2+ it is very aggressive if any noise on the line and the high error cpount suggests there is noise causing the drops in connection.  if you can connect to the test socket as this will eliminate any problems from the extensions and then post new stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TehDoubleJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Alright. Thankyou, I am currently not able todo this tonight due to the time. I will try the test socket tomorrow and see how it goes and reply with the results.

The problems appear to be random and not at any fixed time, last night it started at roughly 12am stayed for an hour or so and was fine up untill 6PM tonight. The connection can be fine and running at its full speed with no problems and then suddenly slow to a crawl as well as the odd connection drop.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution
ok keep us posted
0 Ratings
TehDoubleJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

I have attached the filter directly to the test socket and removed any other phone connection from the filter. I am now waiting while it stays connected. however I can already see errors appearing in the stats page. I will post below a current stats but its only been connected for a few minutes.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:03:13
Downstream:14 Mbps
Upstream:1.184 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.0 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.9 dB / 18.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.1 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):21179 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):79 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):109 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):15 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

errors don't look to be increasing as fast as last set of stats but a stats post in a few hours will show how fast thw errors are rising

0 Ratings
TehDoubleJ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

When I posted the last set of stats it was in the middle of one of its.. episodes. Currently the internet is again performing as it should be. I will wait for a few hours and see how it goes.

thanks for the replies.

0 Ratings