cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Internet access from phone, but not from PC over wifi or wired ethernet!

Go to solution

I can access the internet via my Home Hub 4 using phone, ipad etc over wifi, but I can't access the internet from my PC using either wifi or wired Ethernet.  The connection shows up as accessing the internet briefly before subsiding into 'No Internet access'.

I have just moved over from another provider and never had this problem with exactly the same set up.  The logical explanation is a network addressing conflict and / or a firewall issue being caused by the Home Hub hardware and / or software.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to fathom out exactly what the issue is yet.  I use Comodo and Windows Defender firewalls on a Windows 7 machine. 

The firewall log below shows Comodo blocking something when I activate the connection but I can't see anything in the HH4 configuration settings which would resolve the issue.

Date Application Action Direction Protocol Source IP Source Port Destination IP Destination Port

2015-08-02 23:31:51 Windows Operating System Blocked In ARP 192.168.1.69  192.168.1.69  
2015-08-02 22:01:35 Windows Operating System Blocked In ARP 192.168.1.64  192.168.1.64  

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to fix this?  Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Internet access from phone, but not from PC over wifi or wired ethernet!

Go to solution

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/443​28/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-h...

Delete any connections to your previous provider on your computer and also any connections that have been made to the Homehub on both Lan and Wireless and restart your PC and then remake the connections and see how you get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for that...

- "smart setup" turned off

- connections to previous providers deleted

- deleted all connection profiles to the HomeHub

Then...

- Turned off Windows & Comodo firewalls

- Connected to Hub on new connection immediately, no problem

- Still no internet access

- Repeated on both wireless and wired connections 

- Hub shows good internet access, verified by phone & Ipad connectivity

- Still seeing IPV4 connections to the hub, DNS server IP addresses blocked.

So...

- the simplest solution would be to dump the Homehub hardware and instead use the modem from the previous provider, which I **know** works just fine with my PC.

- where can I get the appropriate settings for BT Home ADSL e.g. encapsulation etc?  I can't see all of the settings I'd need in the Advanced Homehub pages...

Assuming I can find the right settings, any reason why this wouldn't work / wouldn't be a good idea?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If your other devices are connecting OK it would appear that the problem is with your PC and not the Homehub or your connection.

Have you checked that you have the latest drivers for your PC's network card. Make sure you use the card manufacturer's website as Windows can be out of date.

Have you checked the IPV4 connection is set to obtain IP addresses automatically and to obtain DNS automatically. You should also ensure IPV6 is unticked.

If they appear OK you could try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

You could also try uninstalling your network card and restarting your PC which will then re-install it per chance the install has become corrupted.

Your previous providers modem/router will possibly be locked to them and won't work on BT but if you can change the settings they are here

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7447/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-non-bt-router%3F

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I have had this problem - everything connecting except windows devices - theyare connected to hub OK, wirelessly but no net access. 

It seemed to be fixed for me with a replacement home hub, but it was an intermittent fault and I thought it looked liked a BT DNS issue. 

Good luck, I would be trying your old router before doing anything with drivers etc on your PC. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your help...got this sorted now.

For some reason - I can only assume the Home Hub automatic setup changed the previous settings - the wireless network card was set to a specific IP address for the DNS server.  Changing this to auto immediately resolved issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Cheers...got this fixed now but as noted below, I strongly suspect it's the Home Hub auto setup software which is the root cause of the issue!
0 Ratings