Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pads89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Internet connection keeps dropping

Hey

I've been having trouble with my connection for the last couple of months, online gaming is not possible at the moment.At least three times a day my Smart hub will lose connection showing a flashing orange light. My speeds have also dropped from 52mb 10mb to 30mb 4mb and thats on a good day. I'm aware that the hub disconnects are causing dlm to lower my speeds but how will they recover if the hub is constantly disconnecting. I've left the hub connected for three days but i'm still having problems. I have a corded phone on the way to do the quiet line test and ive already reset my router hence the 3 day system uptime. Any help appreciated guys as i've spoke to customer service and they just did the usual reboot but no real solution.

BT Broadband /
BT Infinity /
BT Infinity 3 and 4 :

BT Infinity

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

18-Oct-2017

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71528232

Downstream sync speed:

32.40 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

4.29 Mbps

Network uptime:

0 Days, 7 Hours 57 Minutes

System uptime:

3 Days, 0 Hours 40 Minutes

BT Wi-fi status:

Not active

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated:

18-Oct-2017

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 7 Hours 58 Minutes 40 Seconds

Data rate:

4.29 Mbps / 32.40 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

38932 / 119236

Noise margin:

31 dB / 31.1 dB

Line attenuation:

5.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

119011 MB Uploaded / 134820 MB Downloaded

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the router stats when plugged into test socket.

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

You should be syncing at about 80 Meg instead of the 32.4 Meg that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line. Your sync speed is being held at the top of one of BT's Banded Profile bands. It is possibly due to all those discons that are happening.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Right I've just tried the quiet line test and there is a some white noise on the line, it's not very loud but definitely there aswell as some occasional crackling. My connection did stay up for a few days but I had zero improvement in gaming or the speeds I'm receiving. I'm well under what bt said my minimum speeds would be so I'm not getting what I pay for. I checked the bt wholesale website and my download has been banded, my upload has not been banded but I can't get over 4mb.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

then phone customer services and get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pads89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Engineer booked for Wednesday. I'll give an update after the visit. Fingers crossed
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

assuming engineer fixes fault then make sure you get him to reset the DLM before he leaves

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Unfortunately if its a voice engineer he won't be able to. This is where the system completely falls apart, voice fault cleared but customer then has to wait weeks for DLM because voice engineer can't ask for a DLM reset. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Are you suggusting the DLM will reset itself?

My experience is DLM only reduces speed and doesn't increase it.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Yes, that's the whole point of DLM, its an automatic system. However, it can get stuck if you are banded as there appears to be too much hysteresis in the system.  Obviously it won't increase the speed until the underlying fault has been cleared though.

0 Ratings