Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LDoggett
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Internet dropping repeatedly for days, speeds dropped past week

Hello,

We have had a poor experience with our broadband since switching from another provider last year. Our speeds have been only slightly lower, but have also had problems with the occaisional dropout.

For the past month our internet speeds have dropped from between 5-11mb down to only 1mb down, and the already-abysmal 0.5mb up has dropped to between 0 and 0.4mb up. We phoned BT who reported no line issues, but that they would reset our connection and see if that helped.

However this didnt work - even after a visit from the OpenReach engineer who admitted both our phoneline and broadband were "dodgy", and after he replaced the lines into the house and the main socket, our problems have only gotten worse. He said he didn't have the authority to test any further from BT, and that we'd need to complain again. 

The internet drops out more than I can count now - several times an hour at least. We have a BT HH4, and the main light does go orange when this happen. Sometimes the dropouts are so fast that the light remains blue though, and we regain connection once again - other times it will take 5-10 minutes. Speeds are now hovering between 1 and 2mb down. 

Hopefully you guys can help, as phoning them seems to do nothing.

I will include further information below:

Quiet Line Test: Light static noise in the background - like a radio with poor signal

BT Speed Tests: Bt speed test.PNG

12.09.17 BT test.PNG

HomeHub Helpdesk: 

HELPDESK.PNG

Event Logs:

BT Disconnect.PNG

SAAF framework down.PNG

Really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and assist,

Liam

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
DavidM
Message 2 of 12

Re: Internet dropping repeatedly for days, speeds dropped past week

Hi @LDoggett and welcome.

Sorry you're having problems with the connection. Is there any noise on your line? Can you try the quiet line test by connecting a phone to the test socket and dialling 17070 option 2. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
LDoggett
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi David,

Thank you for responding!

I conducted the quiet line test earlier, as mentioned in the first post it's like an untuned radio with a quiet fizzing noise.

I just tested once again and the fizzing/static noise has gotten slightly louder, and the automated voice on the phone is slightly less clear too. Having said that, it's not a loud static noise at all and I could still hear the automated voice quite clearly.

Still experiencing disconnections, and spotted some additional events in the event logger that I haven't noticed before:

new log.PNG

Thanks in advance,

Liam

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for confirming that @LDoggett.

There should be no noise on the line so you'll need to call 151 and report a line fault without mentioning the broadband issue.

Cheers

David

LDoggett
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Hi David,

I've called the 151 number, and conducted the test but it has come back with there being no fault.

It offers an engineer, but this would be at our cost if no fault is found. Is there an alternative to this?

It's been less than 2 weeks since the last Open Reach engineer was out and the fault was not solved then, so I am concerned we might be charged twice for something that hasn't been fixed.

Thanks again for your help,

Liam

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

You won't pay the fee if:
The fault is in BT’s network
If the fault is with your BT hub and it is in warranty (contract)
If the fault is with your BT TV box (in or out of warranty)
If you have the same fault within 28 days
In case of BT Infinity, if you call within 28 days after the install
In case of BT Infinity, if the Openreach Fibre modem needs replacing
They are registered as a Chronically Sick and Disabled Person
You will pay the fee if the fault's with:
Your home wiring past the main socket, for example, extensions
The way you've got your equipment connected
Interference from something, for example your phone, alarm system, micro-filter or broadband router
Damage to our network, for example cut wire, damage from building work, trees or pets, or damage to sockets

without an engineer visit the noise problem will not get resolved and your dropping connection
DavidM
Message 7 of 12

Hi @LDoggett,

@john46 is correct. You need an engineer visit to sort the noise on the line. Once that's resolved your broadband connection will recover automatically.

Cheers

David

LDoggett
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Brilliant - thanks to both of you for your advice.

Contacted BT but slipped up and mentioned the broadband issue when I was asked, so now having to wait for a new homehub before an engineer is sent out. Hopefully that will arive soon.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

a new hub will not solve the problem all it does is delay the line fault being fixed
LDoggett
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

I said exactly that on the phone, but was told I had to follow this as standard procedure before an engineer would be sent out.

Is there a way I can bypass this? 

0 Ratings