cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisupyonder
Beginner
Message 21 of 174

Re: Internet problems in Highlands?

Near Thurso, Caithness. Dead slow download speed less than a 56k modem! As above, started last evening.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 174

This looks like a reoccurence of the BT network problems in early January. At that time, it seems that the appropriate bit of BT hadn't been alerted to the high number of faults reported because the "Help Desk" appears to have been failing to pass them on. It's not really surprising since I've been advised (unofficially) that the help desk is effectively penalised for passing faults they can't close off themselves. Be aware that the help desk isn't BT - it's a subcontracted Indian company.

Could I suggest -

Everyone effected raise a complaint, and don't let the call centre agent bog you down with their standard script.  Keep the complaint short and direct "Very slow speeds, all the BT customers in the area have the same problem". Remember to assure them that it's just the same from the test socket, and that you've changed filters etc.

Insist (politely !) that the agent acknowledge that many other people in the geographical area are complaining of the same thing. (It's not worth referring to this forum - most of the Indian people haven't heard of it - just refer to "Contacts on the Internet" if necessary to reinforce the case).

Suggest to the agent that there is clearly a widespread network fault, and it should be referred to the UK.

If the agent is stubborn or unhelpful, ask to speak to the supervisor. If the agent stonewalls you or refuses access to the supervisor, report back to this forum.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 174

This is getting beyond a joke. I run a website which is an important community resource up here in Shetland and I can't update the site because the upload speed is so slow its timing out!! When is BT going to get this sorted??"

I can't quote from the message now, get an error message

Can you use these factor as leverage to get through to BT - try and get local newspaper to run a report, try and get local politician to raise it with BT.  I know it is not the responsibility of politicians but big companies don't like letters to their Chief Executive from MPs or even MSPs.

It needs someone high up to give those lower down a good kick.

I have a bad feeling that it is going to be like this all weekend, hope I am wrong.

MB

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 174

This was posted elsewhere at 23:52h

"I have reported the problem to BT and the Indian helpdesk immediately acknowledged there is a fault in my area. He then asked for 2 minutes to test my line, came back and said my line was OK, and the area fault would be cleared at 11.00 on Saturday 5th. Also said I should shut down and restart my equipment after 11.00 tomorrow."

Good news but the helpdesk should have been doing that all day.

MB

----
MB
----
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
furiousofross
Beginner
Message 25 of 174

Deeply frustrating for those of us trying to upload essential stuff for our businesses. Makes a mockery of the fees we pay BT. But at least I hadn't wasted hours and hours doing silly tests thinking it was me. Good to have it confirmed that this is a major problem throughout. Just off to let the pigeons out of the coop. Hold fast everyone and hopefully we will be able to get back to our businesses. Feel desperately sorry for the Shetland community website and any other community websites out there whose communities rely on them.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Kaysio1
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 174

Another one from Fort William, Ive been having these problems on & off since the major outage back a few months ago.

Ive noticed my uploads have been a lot worse in the last 48hrs though, also getting a lot of time out pages.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
chrisupyonder
Beginner
Message 27 of 174

0 Ratings
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 174

Again your all not alone, just down the road oban and surrounding areas are having difficulty's,  the weather will not be helping things!  Has anyone one had there router keep kicking them off at all?  I'm currently having to use an open zone cos its got that bad.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
chrisupyonder
Beginner
Message 29 of 174

Sorry, meant to say here is the problem... again same as last year.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
scotman2010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 174

I still think that bt could do with spending some of that huge pot of money that they got on perhaps upgrading the lines so they don't have problems like this as often. it would be nice for a change not to have a crackly line and slow net where ever you go. 😐

Tags (1)
0 Ratings