cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kildary_Brown
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Internet problems in the Highlands?

Like everyone else in the Highlands, my broadband service fell over during the second half of Thursday.  What pisses me off is the way in which my complaint to the helpline was treated: to the mind of the operator the fault could only rest with my incompetance and the inadequacies of my PC and installation.  Tests was allegedly carried out which provided further evidence to support this opinion.  This general fault, admitted by BT today, must have been known about; but seemingly not by these operators.  I was astonished that it would be a whole week before an engineer visit could be arranged.  What arrangements are going to me made by BT to refund subscribers for this service breakdown?  Do you know what I was told?  It is up to me to make my own arrangements with BT through 0800 800 150 - and we all know just how hopeless that will be - once service has finally been resumed.  Meanwhile, speeds here have been:

4 Feb: 27kbps

5 Feb: zero

6 Feb: 3163kbps!!!

7 Feb: 164kbps

The announcement made today is far from convincing material.  In fact, it implies that all is well - with whom?

3 REPLIES 3
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Internet problems in the Highlands?

the BT helpline operators appear to be in India and from my reading of posts on this forum it is doubtful whether they ever speak to BT so why should we expect BT to speak to them ??!! (unfortunately). Or am I just a cynic?

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@wedding wrote:

the BT helpline operators appear to be in India and from my reading of posts on this forum it is doubtful whether they ever speak to BT so why should we expect BT to speak to them ??!! (unfortunately). Or am I just a cynic?

wedding

The cynical might say that the sole purpose of the call centre is to try and convince the caller that the fault is of their making.  It would not matter if you told them that every single person on your road had the same fault start at the same time, they would still go through exactly the same tests to prove that it was your fault.

They get confused when you tell them that you have checked every single piece of equipment by using a second computer, bypassed all internal wiring etc but they still stick to the same line.  I must configure one of my old routers so I can replace the Home Hub with that and so even eliminate that.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Sorry not to have replied sooner. There has been a great deal of misery over BB in the Highlands over the last week, so you might just have been caught up in this.

As for using a different router, I am on Infinity at the moment, I was on TotalBB. I used a Vigor 2820n on Total BB rather than the HH and have continued to use it on Infinity (although as a router and not a modem/router) with no problems at all. The Homehubs seem to give allsorts of problems if you have a look through the threads on this forum.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings