cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mosquiteki
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Internet speed drops at night

My internet speed drops to 4Mb at night between 7 to 11. I have called BT many times about it. BT says it is to do with the network being busy.

This is not acceptable. It is BT's responsibility to supply a good internet under all loading conditions. If BT can't cope with so many customers at night, then don't take so many customers!!!!!!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Damian99
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Internet speed drops at night

What exactly is the problem? You're not happy with speeds of 4mb for about 4 hours at peak times??

Well good luck with that one.

0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

welcome to BT Smiley Indifferent

If its dropping from 21Mb to 4Mb then theres something up otherwise its in the Terms and Conditions that max speeds do drop suring peak times.

The reason for this in VERY basic terms, as I understand it, is that 50 users share a big lump of bandwidth but its not 1000Mb that would allow everyone to max it all the time, its more like 400mb so if everybody is on at the same time there is not enough to go round.

The big lumps of bandwidth are Virtual Paths I think.

BT pre-emptively restrict bandwidth for p2p to stop people overloading VP's

0 Ratings
mosquiteki
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

The terms and condition states that my speed varies from 8Mb to 19.5Mb.  During Peak hours the internet speed is managed with non-time critical applications such as P2P. I can't even play Star Craft 2 smoothly, it is a Real-Time Strategy Game. I do not know if it is a non-time critical application. My internet speed drops to 4Mb. 

0 Ratings
olly230
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

so you get 19.5 normally?

0 Ratings
mosquiteki
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I get 13Mb 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Hi mosquiteki internet speeds vary with all providers at peak times due to usage there is nothing any provider can do about it it is nothing to do with the number of customers it is a world wide thing not a bt issue
0 Ratings
hahachu
Message 8 of 10

Hi Damian99, I am not happy with having only 2mb speed at peak times for a 20mb plan. Is your plan just 4 mb? If yes there is no problem in your case.

0 Ratings
mosquiteki
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I agree with you, it is a worldwide problem. That's why BT have to face it probably. The problem is affecting every customer NOT just me. If BT finds difficult to maintain a good speed for every customer. BT should reduce the contention ratio (not 50:1) or do not take so many customers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

speeds are sold as up to there is no guarantee of a speed that applies to all isps not just BT your speed is controlled by the connection sped of the websites servers you are using at the time
0 Ratings