Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Internet thinks im in france?

Go to solution

Hello, When ever i use the search box on firefox on my windsows computer it always returns results from the french virsion of google. I also today got a macbook pro and on safari on that it also does the same thing! so this cant be a problem with a setting on one of my computers it must have somthing to do with my internet. I have tryed restarting the routor and it makes no diffrence. this has only been happening for just over a week and its starting to get rather annoying as you can proberbly guess I dont understand french Smiley Very Happy Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

thanks

Thanks
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Internet thinks im in france?

Go to solution

Try going to this site http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-whois-lookup.asp

its a free tool which will show your IP address, and where it is being issued from.

Click on the whois lookup box, and see what it says.

Maybe there is a routing error and your IP is being issued from France?

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Comes back saying BT central plus country GB
Thanks
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Is it your Google settings? Open Google and search for anything. On the left-hand side there should be a location; if it's wrong click "Change location" and do the necessary.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

just found out it only does it when logged into my google account. I checked my google account settings and the country selected is united kingdom :S and at the side of a google search where it says location it says Bristol,UK. 

Thanks
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Google on your computer simply uses your IP address to guess your location.

There is a detailed thread about location here

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Why-does-the-Hub-think-I-live-in-Hampshire-I-live-in-Suf...

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Google on your computer simply uses your IP address to guess your location.

That may be the case unless you override it, when it seems to retain your instructions.  I've been signed out of Google since their recent privacy (or should that be non-privacy?) statement, but right now they correctly have me in Folkestone even though my IP address shows as London.

Perhaps Google internally assigns the location you give it to your IP address. If I remember rightly my location changes to Sheffield when I visit my daughter there, then back again when I come home.

It's obviously not working for the OP though. Good old Google!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

pottyperson wrote: 

Perhaps Google internally assigns the location you give it to your IP address. If I remember rightly my location changes to Sheffield when I visit my daughter there, then back again when I come home.

I need to correct my failing memory! I'm on a visit to Sheffield right now and my location is still shown as Folkestone in Google search. So a manual setting there seems to be retained when you're on the move.

--