cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Internittent crackling on phone line

Have noticed that there are similar posts on this subject.  I have had problems with crackling on phone line (together with broadband dropping on few occasions) since January 2012.  When first reported, an engineer turned up next day (although was not booked) and said line was fine up to house.  Came indoors and declared that extension wiring was problem and that when broadband hub was removed from phone line it was O.K.  (which it was not!).  Problem has persisted and have reported it on a number of occasions since but to no avail.  Have down all tests on internal equipment as recommended.  Have removed broadband from socket (on extension upstairs) and just had phone line alone plugged into main socket.  Have also plugged phone into test socket.  Have also tried 3 different phones, one of which was a corded phone and one of which was a brand new phone.  All to no avail.  From others posts it would seem that problem could be due to High Resistance Disconnect.  Does anyone know where I go from here?  Would appreciate any help.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Internittent crackling on phone line

does your internet drp connection when you receive or make phone calls or both?  or is it just noise/crackle on your line even when router disconnected and using a phone in the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

There is crackling on phone line even when broadband hub disconnected and phone line plugged into test socket.  Broadband has dropped randomly since April but seems stable at moment.  When I have reported broadband problem they seem to reset it which resolves problem for a while.  Phone line is different matter.  Every time I report fault, line test is done which shows no problem.  Call centre always suggest that problem is with internal wiring but the fact that crackling is still there when using test socket, surely that suggests there is an outside problem?  Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Keep ypur phone plugged into the test socket.  Plug your broadband into this as well (remember the filter) and unplug everything else. Ideally use a 'simple' phone for a few days ie no wireless or answerphone.

The secret to getting it fixed is to never mention the broadband and concentrate on getting the line fixed.  If you can manage to leave your router unplugged that would help.  Say that the problem is intermittent (possibly weather related) and ring to complain constantly until it is fixed.  You need the line to make overseas calls, so the quality needs to be perfect.  

The first few engineers will probably sit in the van drinking tea and fob you off with an excuse.  But as soon as they have left, ring to complain again.   Eventually you will get to meet the 'good' engineer who will actually help you.  Again, NEVER mention the broadband.    When its all done your broadband will most likely be fine, unless theres been a separate issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

My phone has been plugged into test socket for several days now, but have now connected broadband hub as well, using filter. Not sure what this  will achieve but will try anything to be honest. Just a thought, but where our line comes inside the house, it goes through a small box (which contains all wires) and then line goes down to main socket (when front plate is taken off no wires are visible).  Does this sound right and could it possibly mean that using test socket might have no use? The fault has been reported on numerous occasions and despite informing B.T. that all recommended tests indoors have been done, the only suggestion is for an engineer to come out.  As the crackling is intermittent, the engineer would need to hear it at the time to determine fault (I presume).  I am not prepared to have engineer come out, find no fault and charge me for the privilege!  Any more suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

you need to phone BT faults on 151 and report the noise but do not mention broadband when you call once the noise is solved then your broadband will improve
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I have reported the fault so many times to date.  Line test always comes back O.K.  Told must be fault with my equipment but have carried out all tests recommended on B.T. website.  As line still crackles when plugged into test socket surely that proves the problem is with their line or network.  They insist the next stage is for an engineer to come out but unless he hears crackling on line at time (it is intermittent, but bad when it happens) he will go away insisting there is no problem.  My husband works up the road from our home address and his phone is the same (but a lot worst!)If the problem is the network what would they do?  They seem reluctant to admit the problem is to do with them!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Spoiler

My father in law has had a severe crackling phone line for the past week.  It is so severe that he can't use his BT phone anymore as you just hear very loud crackles - he has been using his cell phone instead.  I have come down to visit and try and help him out.  BT India suggested the test methods and checked his line and said all was good.  I feel they are giving really poor service especially as he is a pensioner living by himself, he normally uses his phone to keep in touch with his daughter who lives quite a distance away.  I have just discovered this very useful forum and will follow advice in some of the other threads.  Any advice welcome.

Neilos

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

contact BT Faults on 151 and report the noise and request an engineers visit
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Hi, I have been away for a week.  On inspection of the exterior telephone junction box I found one wire which was so fragile it broke.  I have joined the wire back together and the crackle has gone.  Am I responsible for the exterior junction box or is it BT - will they charge to service/ replace the box?

Neilos

0 Ratings