cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 160

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Why are the IP and MAC addresses unknown? Surely if you can see the discs have the static IP address and the undocumented MAC addresses then you know what they are and what's using them.

Remember the Whole Home WiFi is a 'mesh' based solution in which the access points communicate with each other over a wireless 'back haul'. The back haul is how they pass traffic back to the root AP that is wired to the rest of the network. I suspect the static IP and MACs you see are used for that purpose.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 160

It is sold on the business website as a small business item and regardless of where it is sold it must be secure and safe. The issue is about undocumented mac addreses beginning E6:..... The whole wifi app posts the mac addreses for each channel (beginning with E4:.) .... and each and every device connect to the discs in accordance IEEE mac lists...... The E6:... addresses are not assigned to a vendor...... and the devices are unknown with self assigned i.e. Static IP address ....but the unknow devices know the WiFi name and password instantly as I change the deaf aunt WiFi name and password to something I know........suggesting that it is "part of the setup". Can you/anuybidy shed some light on these mac addresses, please.? .. thanks, peter
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 160

@PeterClarke wrote:
The issue is about undocumented mac addreses beginning E6:..... The whole wifi app posts the mac addreses for each channel (beginning with E4:.) .... and each and every device connect to the discs in accordance IEEE mac lists...... 

So the issue is that the MAC address is not on the OUI MAC address list? Other than the vendor should really use an assigned OUI does it really matter?

A MAC address operates at the 'Data Link' layer and has only local significance. On an Ethernet type network a MAC address is not visible outside its own 'broadcast domain' and so can't communicate with anything outside of that broadcast domain.

@PeterClarke wrote:
The E6:... addresses are not assigned to a vendor...... and the devices are unknown with self assigned i.e. Static IP address ....but the unknow devices know the WiFi name and password instantly as I change the deaf aunt WiFi name and password to something I know........suggesting that it is "part of the setup".

As I mentioned, mesh based Wifi solutions are an intelligent solution with APs that communicate with each other to balance load, move clients between APs etc. When you change the 'deaf aunt' wifi name to something else, that will be communicated from the app to the AP you're connected to, but that then has to be passed to the other AP in the mesh.

I seriously doubt you'll find the real 'nitty gritty' on how this particular consumer / small business WiFi solution works. If you're concerned that not having that understanding is in some way a security risk, then the best option is to not use it.

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 160

Sorry, either the product is fit for purpose or it isn't. Duplicate IP addresses is either a **bleep** up by the supplier or a hacker attemptinmg access to your WiFi network, either way it is not good for ayone particularly a residental network. Not explicitly knowing what device has connected to your network is hacking risk to your pesonal or business data. Either way the supplier IS responsible for suppling a product that is fit for purpose. I'll take it up with BT Business Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 160

@PeterClarkeYou may like to post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

See what other business users have to say.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 16 of 160

Security has been a rising concern over the last several years, and it's becoming ever more so. 2017 will probably be another year of record security failures, and record bad PR.

The days of manufacturers doing the least possible on security and just throwing product out there with minimal concern "because it's just residential" are long gone.

This applies to BT too, and it's yet another reason why they should get out of the end-user equipment game.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 160

Can I ask where you are seeing statically assigned IP addresses, and indeed more than 1 IP address per disc? To my knowledge the discs are each picking up a single IP address from my DHCP server allocated to the 2.4Ghz wireless MAC address of each disc?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 160

I have just bought one of these. I am not a technical person, so I wanted something to help sort out problems with two rooms in my house which sufferred from lack of connectivity, especially in the evenings. I have tried, wi fi extenders etc, but nothing has worked. I set this up yesterday, and for the first time in a year, I was able to watch television in the evening without missing every other word! I would say, so far for me this has fixed the problem, but on the negative side, it is an expensive solution.

@SeanD wrote:

Internet from the loft to the cellar. And in every room between.

Staying glued to that box set season finale from living room to bath. Video calling your family on the other side of the world. Changing a fuse, with a YouTube tutorial guiding the way beside you. Sifting through boxes of memories in the loft, to the soundtrack of your teens.

Wherever you are in your home, Whole Home Wi-Fi puts what matters most at your fingertips. It brings super-fast, super-reliable Internet to every room. It talks to all your gadgets to make sure they're always connected to the fastest and strongest signal. And it's bristling with brilliant controls that put you in charge of a supercharged home network.

Read all about this exciting new product from BT from here, BT Whole Home Wi-Fi

If you have any questions please see here for more help, BT Whole Home Wi-Fi FAQs 

To download the Whole Home Wi-Fi app please see here, How can I download the Whole Home Wi-Fi app?

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 160

I'm still very pleased with my BT Whole Home WiFi. It is simply working flawlessly for me and always seems to seamlessly hand off my devices between the discs as I move around my home without issues. I also love the way that it's all on the same channel as I previously had a router and two APs set up which wasn't very sociable to my neighbours using all 3 2.4ghz channels for myself.

Unfortunately the previous poster who was adamant that the discs use more than 1 IP address hasn't replied as I can only find 1 address per disc. They do use multiple MAC addresses which is perfectly acceptable in networking terms, and the same as your home router which will have a minimum of 3 MAC addresses in order to work.

All in all I'm really pleased with my rather expensive purchase.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 160

If the BT Whole Home WiFi solution works and gives the coverage you need then it's actually not bad value at £300. A couple of alternatives available are the Netgear Orbi at £370 for a two AP solution and the Linksys Velop at £500 for three AP solution.

Regards

0 Ratings