Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artyarty
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Invisible hole diggers

Go to solution
Having problems with my broadband:landline. Reported to my provider (EE). Openreach engineers (I've encountered 5 different ones) have been to look at the problem. The last one came and used his spray paint to mark a dashed line from next doors property up the pavement 3 doors away and drew a rectangle. This is where the fault is.
Several days later nothing further has been done. Phoned EE who contacted BT to be told hole diggers scheduled for today.
No one arrived. Phoned EE who contacted BT who said the diggers were there now. No they weren't. EE then asked me to check. No there was no one there. BT adamant that the team were there at the hole (rectangle) and working on a solution. It's a joke.
Why are Openreach and BT allowed to do this to their customers without us being able to contact them directly.
Got that off my chest ......will we see the hole diggers tomorrow?????
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Invisible hole diggers

Go to solution

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media.
Openreach do not talk to end users, only Service Providers.

Nobody here can help you with this, as your broadband provider is EE, and this is a BT Retail customer forum only.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

All you can do is keep chasing EE. They are dependant on BT OR actually doing the work & scheduling it in.

Do you get both your BB & landline from EE?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX

Its not BT Openreach, its simply Openreach, a BT Group company.

This is a very common mistake made worse by the press.

I used to work for Openreach, when it was split from the main part of BT, and it was made clear to us at the time, that we must never tell end users that we were from BT Openreach. We had to say we were from Openreach, working on behalf of their Service Provider, who could be any one of the many that use the Openreach network.

0 Ratings
Artyarty
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Yes both landline and broadband with EE.

Do BT -openreach compensate the providers when they fail to restore acceptable service level?
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe: Well, I don't work for BT OR, so I'm not bound by their house rules. It's for the sake of clarity.

What do you say when someone says "I've got a BT engineer coming today"? Do you tell them off too? Aren't they from Openreach?

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
the simple answer is BT Retail do not have any engineers they come from Openreach and work on behalf of the customers provider Keith was not telling you off just explaining that the media are the most guilty of calling Openreach BT Openreach which is incorrect this cause a lot of confusion
Artyarty
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks for the explanation.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
putting is in its basics it is down to EE to contact Openreach there is connection at all with BT Retail as they are just a service provider like EE Sky Talk Talk etc
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
I can explain the confusion.

Openreach currently don't do their own Civils work, aka digging holes, with the exception of Soft Digs. A Soft Dig is basically where they only need to dig on soft ground like a verge, in a field or someone's lawn so they'll send an Openreach guy with a shovel.

Civils work that needs digging with heavy plant is contracted out to Carillion. They themselves can't handle the amount of work Openreach give them but rather than turn around and say thanks but no thanks they then sub contract it out.

Exactly what will be happening in your case, which I've seen thousands upon thousands of times before is your CP like all others with have some kind of 'Fault Status' display on their system.

So when it's sat idle waiting for the job to be assigned to an Engineer it'll say something along the lines of, Awaiting Issue.

When an Engineer, Contractor, etc has the job on their Terminal it'll say something like, In Execute.

The update of the fault status comes from Openreach systems to your CP.

So when Openreach pin that job to Carillion it'll put the job status into 'Execute as in its now assigned to the Engineer, Contractors, etc. So as far as the computer is concerned someone's physically working on the job when in fact they're probably not.

Now this is what happens all the time. You phone your CP and they look at their system and see the jobs in Execute and interpret that as someone's actually there working on it so tell you they are when in fact their not.

This has become such a pain in the **bleep** for Openreach they've now started to trial using in house Civils Teams. I know there was a trial somewhere in Yorkshire. Not heard yet if it's still on going or has been a success and will be rolled out nationally or not?