cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riverboat2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Is 2mb really good enough for the 21st Century?

Having moved house, i had to leave my 50mb broadband connection (Virgin)

And downgrade to BT with a 2mb connection speed. (fastest i can get)

Now general surfing or downloading emails is bearable, but trying to download a 1.6gb xbox live trial game is laughable!

I keep getting dumped out of games as my broadband drops out a couple of times a day.

I'm also getting bombarded on TV with infinity adverts, but it's not even coming to my area anytime soon!

I actually sometimes get a better speed connection using my Three dongle, how laughable is that!

I doubt wether anything will change, but i just wanted to vent my spleen and this seems the appropiate forum to do it on.

If your thinking of getting broadband, and you have a choice in the area, I'd seriously look around if you want a fast connection.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Is 2mb really good enough for the 21st Century?

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

Spoiler

Depends on the distance from the exchange with copper, if you like post some details of line, I too have been Vm customer, and very glad i have my ADSLmax line with profile of 6000-6500, faster and more reliable!

The forums are customer to customer in the first instance, Only the mods (BT) will ask for personal information through a email link. Would you mind posting your Hub stats & BT speed test results this will help all with diagnosis-

To post the full stats from your router
for home hub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.
Run BT speed tester and post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

If possible it would be best to connect to the BT master socket remove the front plate if possisble and connect to socket this will rule out any telephone/broadband extension wiring also consider the housing of the hub/router as anything electrical can cause problems as these are your responsibility, if these are found to be the case Openreach (engineer) will charge BT Broadband, which will be passed onto you, around £130.00.

Noisy line! When making telephone calls, if so this is not good for your broadband, you can check-

Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
riverboat2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Not at home now, but will post results later, but BT have tested the line and said 2mb was the best i could "Hope" to achieve.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Your connection will be very dependent on the distance between your residence and the exchange, on your hub/router stats look for down attenuation and enter it in here- http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  From what you report I would put it around the 60db for 2000 sync.  Hopefully your down attenuation is lower than this if not there are things that can improve it (slightly),and very occasionally seen attenuation halved.

Also depending on what estimation service you have used, BT or others, these databases can be very quick to update, they have had in the past have had my line down only being able to achieve 2mbps which is nonsense for my attenuation. 

I'm alright Jack....
riverboat2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Quiet Line test : silent

This is a brand new socket fitted about 6 months ago.

ADSL Settings

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 13:36:54
Downstream: 2.125 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.2 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 59.9 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.5 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 3
CRC Events (Down/Up): 9189 / 174
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 77854 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2429 / 140

BT Speedtester result

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1765 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1765 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2176 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1919 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 345 Kbps

0 Kbps448 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 345 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Nils comment about you attenuation being about 60db was spot on as router shows 59.9db.  at that distance from the exchange about 2.5mb is about as good as you will get.  even if your exchange was upgraded to 21CN adsl2 you would see little or no difference apart from a more aggresive system on line noise.

your noise margin is slightly higher than normal and as your line seems to be stable you could ask the mods to reset to 6 which will give a small speed increase http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

the  other thing to try would be connecting to the master once your noise margin has settled and been reset.

mastersocket2.jpg

I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
MrFlibs
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Oh look your ip-profile is 2Mb the same as mine and many others recently, this happens every year I've been with BT right on-top of Xmas too.

0 Ratings
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Yes, 2Mb/s is slow by today's standards, but downloading 1.6GB should still take less than two hours at that speed.

If it's taking longer than that, your download might be limited by the server you're downloading from. In that case, increasing the speed of your internet connection wouldn't help.

0 Ratings