cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Is BT Deliberately Customer Unfriendly?

I wanted to ditch my Sky TV package, upgrade to optic fibre broadband (because ADSL gives me about 2 Mb/s) and take the BT Vision service. I had registered with BT for information about Infinity but when it was rolled out locally, BT did not get in touch, possibly because I am not close enough to the cabinet to get the full speed and am restricted to "faster broadband". It would have nice for BT to have sent information, given that I had registered, explaining what could be provided but I'm not going to get upset about that.

When I looked at fibre broadband, the 40 GB package for £18/month seemed ok even if restricted to 11Mb/s. Unfortunately, as a second-class citizen on speed I found that BT could not even be bothered to offer a choice of packages and all that is available is an unlimited download package at £25/month. So BT can't provide the full speed and wants to charge £7/month more for capacity that I don't want to use. I confirmed this with a sales advisor who really couldn't have cared less - take it or leave it.

So instead of giving BT more business I will now plan to move my services away from BT. At least Plusnet doesn't have the nerve to try to charge more for lower quality service.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Is BT Deliberately Customer Unfriendly?

@john51 wrote:

I wanted to ditch my Sky TV package, upgrade to optic fibre broadband (because ADSL gives me about 2 Mb/s) and take the BT Vision service. I had registered with BT for information about Infinity but when it was rolled out locally, BT did not get in touch, possibly because I am not close enough to the cabinet to get the full speed and am restricted to "faster broadband". It would have nice for BT to have sent information, given that I had registered, explaining what could be provided but I'm not going to get upset about that.

When I looked at fibre broadband, the 40 GB package for £18/month seemed ok even if restricted to 11Mb/s. Unfortunately, as a second-class citizen on speed I found that BT could not even be bothered to offer a choice of packages and all that is available is an unlimited download package at £25/month. So BT can't provide the full speed and wants to charge £7/month more for capacity that I don't want to use. I confirmed this with a sales advisor who really couldn't have cared less - take it or leave it.

So instead of giving BT more business I will now plan to move my services away from BT. At least Plusnet doesn't have the nerve to try to charge more for lower quality service.

when you register, you register to be notified when it becomes available in your area, so there is no onus on bt contacting you to tell you it hasn't arrived yet.

If BT can't provide full speed then I doubt if any of the other providers can either. Also have you checked to see if you are on a market 3 exchange, as if you are then you maybe able to strike a deal with BT, just because one isp charges a certain fee and offers a certain package, does not mean that every other isp has to either.

If BT want to charge you £100 for a service where someone else maybe charging £50 then that is upto BT.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Is BT Deliberately Customer Unfriendly?

Is BT Deliberately Customer Unfriendly?

Well YES they are, they can afford to be as they have the monopoly of the whole UK lines.

Best advice would be tell them to go **bleep** themselves and change to cable, i would if we had it in my area.

0 Ratings