cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 79

Is BT Infinity ready for the masses?

Just have a look at this speed test results, we have a system set-up to run a speed test on the line every morning at 06:00, this then logs with speedtest.net and here's the results.

BT Infinity.jpg

I just cannot believe just how unsable the internet connection has become since upgrading to the 80/20 package!

0 Ratings
78 REPLIES 78
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 79

Re: Is BT Infinity ready for the masses?

no dates makes it hard to say but it looks like its settled down now
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 79

Settled down? It's peaked again yesterday at 71MB/s and today it down again, it all over the place!

I know it's only 5Mb/s that it's fluctuating by, but sometimes it's less, especially with an afternoon speed test - but I've not counted that and tried to set the speed test at 06:00.

The line seems to resync virtually every morning at 05:45, and slower each time!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 79

if it resyncs that often you obviously have a problem
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 79

I think I have a problem too!

Openreach say we don't! And what we are seeing is the nature of the product and perfectly normal

Normally when the service status site says that there are improvements on the infinity network, you can guarantee within 24 hours you get a resync a little slower than before.

There has been quite a few updates recently, and resyncs each time.

0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 79

There's also the issue of Speedtest being somewhat less than consistent - you're battling against unknown connection parameters at the remote server, and the results can fluctuate wildly. Itt has always been thus, and as long as copper cable is involved in the equation, will always be. Only when everywhere's fully fibre is there any real chance of consistent and reliable connectivity.

0 Ratings
crystal_ship
Contributor
Message 7 of 79

The lines are often found to be old, sometimes have aluminium, have poor joints, corrosion etc... And openreach seem to be reluctant to sort them out.

The lines seem to have difficulty providing anywhere near 80mb unless you're very close to the cabinet and have a very good copper only line.

I think BT should have stuck to the up to 40mb product as 80mb was clearly over ambitious and was perhaps. way to try and look competitive with virgin media.
0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 79

I never trust Speedtest, my figures have always been all over the place with that site and never consistent from one minute to the next.

I find  this site http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ to be more in line whith what I would expect from my line. 

But the ultimate test is always a realtime download of a file.

I'm not a fan of constantly logging your speedtests and checking them over time, what are you hoping to achieve, either your infinity is working real time, streaming iPlayer playing Xbox etc, or it's not.

If you have a problem you'll soon know by someone saying they have lag playing Xbox, or their film is buffering on netflix. I would say that most would not even need the 76Mbps their profile quotes.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
v8growl
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 79

crystal_ship, I think you're absolutely right, the 80/20 product isn't ready for mainstream release as there are too many contributing factors to make it reliable for the masses.

When the line was on the 40/10 we had no problems, and no disconnections what-so-ever, it was reliable - upgrade to the 80/20 and reliability goes out of the window.

I have another site with the 80/20, albeit closer to the cab (I can see it from the window) and it's fine, the speed-test is 72Mb/s all the way, similar equipment on the line, and very similar set-up.

BT / Openreach should really be limiting the speed dependent on the distance from the cab, I know they want to be able to boast about having this great connection to compete with Virgin Media, but bragging about speed at the cost of reliability is stupid, and if you are too far to have 80/20 reliably, then they should say so and limit to 40/10.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 79

that what dlm does it reduces the speed until the line is stable
you obviously have problems on your line it shouldnt resync all the time
0 Ratings