cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Is BT infinity good, feedback from people who have it.

So my area just got enabled for Fiber Optic and now have a selection of ISP to choose from. At the moment I'm with Sky Boradband Unlimited and they've been perfect. They have offered me a fanstistic deal which is still cheaper than what is BT offering. My question is though is BT Infinity good, I know a lot of people who are with BT at the moment and all they've had is trouble.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Is BT infinity good, feedback from people who have it.

I had the option of sky and quite a few others via my exchange \ cabinet.

Sky's fastest speed via FTTC was about half of what BT Infinity delivered. BT estimated 51MB DL \ 12 MB UL. Sky was about 28MB. When I queried this they directed me to their technical dept. Effectively, I think Sky is only pushing the equivalent of Infinity 1.

I decided to go with BT because of the free wifi which has many more hotspots than sky plus, I didnt want to have to wiring in the extensions for the multiroom for another 12 months which Sky insisted I do.

Speed wise, BT has exceeded their estimate. Ive been doing speed tests and the lowest Ive measured is 53.5MB with the highest 54.5MB.

Did have an issue tonight when an old fault reappeared and knocked out Infinity 2 when making a phone call. Other than that, I think the Home Hub 3 is pretty rubbish. Its single band only and wont hold linked channels in wireless mode. So, wireless speed fluctuates wildly between 270mbps and 65mbps with 72mbps being around the norm.

HTH.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Had it two weeks . It's been slower than my ADSL2 +. Customer care is abysmal.

When I get my MAC code Im gone to richards. Unlimited download is useless at 4Mb , 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

posting your question on a forum is not going to give you a fair report on Infinity as those that are satisfied with the service have no real reason to post about it by there nature forums are places where those with problems tend to post for help and advice

In my own case I have had infinity option 2 for over a year with not one single loss of connection and a constant 77/17 mb speed 24/7 also I have had no problems with the home hub and it runs a network of 2 MAC desktops two windows 8 desk tops BT vision smart TV and two Ipad's and two Iphones with no problems at all
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 16

I have had no problems at all with Infinity 2 and the home hub 3. I run a MAC (desktop and aptop)an iPad, an androd tablet, two phones, BTVision, Apple TV, OnLive games console all without problems.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 6 of 16

I had some problems with Infinity soon after install due to odd wiring at home that should have been fixed by the installer.  Since that was fixed, a steady 70Mbps down, 17Mbps up.  (Most sites/software won't manage 17Mbps up, but good ones do).  Almost 100% rock steady connection.

Only slight grumble is that latency is a little high at 28ms or so to bbc.  Slight for me as I'm not a gamer, a gamer might be more concerned.  8 to 9ms of that is interleaving which I have no option to turn off, and 8 to 9ms of that is silly BT internal routing of all traffic from Winchester via Sheffield to London before it leaves the BT network.  I had around 19ms on ADSL2 with BE with interleaving, or 11ms with fastpath.

[Not quite sure why they moved this thread from the Infinity forums when it is obviously specifically about Infinity.]

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Infinity would be a lot better if the old wires had been replaced before install.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 16

I have had Infinity for a few months now and I'am very happy with the current service much. Much better than my adsl service, and although I had issues with dates and getting thigs set for the install I have had great help from customers service on here.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 16

Infinity has been pretty much perfect for me since install, would definitely recommend it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16

It should be marvelous by now its been out years didnt you see the infinity cabinet in the tv program call the midwife set in the 50s .......

0 Ratings