cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrZipf
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Is HH5 mandatory as part of FTTP in the home?

Go to solution

Hey folks

We're getting FTTP to the home installed this week and I'm wondering if having the HH5 is a necessary part of the process? Does the FTTP modem support DHCP or have easy to discover manual settings?

I ask because no HH modem has ever worked with the spectrum of devices we have (even when paring down to lowest possible common denominator). The HH5 would surplant the N56U that works flawlessly with all our existing devices.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
JamesK1975
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is HH5 mandatory as part of FTTP in the home?

Go to solution

It's not mandatory at all. You'll be able to use the N56U. You simply set-up a PPPoE connection with the same connection details as FTTC. There's numerous posts about the ID and password to use. If memory serves the Asus won't accept a blank password.

The only issue you may have is the CPU in the N56U may not be able to handle the full bandwidth of the fibre connection. Take a look at this post: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9425

This person used the RT-N66U, which I think has the same CPU as the N56U. He found the PPPoE connection maxed out the CPU. He posted this over a year ago, and in that time several firmware updates have come out from Asus, and some of these added hardware acceleration to PPPoE. So the situation may be different now.

I would say update the N56U to the latest firmware and try it. It's recommended that when you upgrade the firmware on the Asus device to reset them back to factory defaults and set them up as new. If it doesn't perform as well as the HH5 then you'll need to consider upgrading to the newer RT-AC56U which has a dual core 800MHz CPU and should be able to handle the PPPoE load with ease. It's a very nice router. The latest RT-AC68U has the same dual core CPU. However, the RT-AC66U has the older single core CPU that can be found on the N66U so will be slower than the RT-AC56U.

Hope this helps.

JamesK1975
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Just to add that I'm running the very latest beta firmware available on the Asus website on my RT-N66U and it's been totally flawless (version 3.0.0.4.374.2239). Lots of people on the smallnetbuilder forums are reporting good improvements in wireless range. It's worth having a read on their forum.

When you upgrade the firmware and reset it to factory defaults it is important you set it up as new and don't restore any settings you'd previously saved.

MrZipf
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Superb! That is most helpful, thanks for sharing.

0 Ratings