Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Is a fixed bRAS profile possible at a 20CN equipped exchange

Go to solution

Our telephone line has an intermittent fault but otherwise works well

Exchange; ADSL Max
Line length. 6.8km.
HomeHub 3A

The line was recently configured such that the bRAS profile was “fixed” @ 1Mbps download (with a Target SNR of 9dB)
Indeed for three days each time the line dropped to 160kbps ( an "a couple of times per day "event) a reset would return the line speed to 1200 to 1400kbps and the download speed would immediately be 0.96Mbps.

However during the session detailed below the download speed dropped to .135kbps without a change in line speed , without a drop in signal to noise (minimum 8.8dB), and with no dramatic CRC error rates.

After approx.10 hrs of the session the system has reset the line speed, but the SNR is now 6dB, the line speed 1531kbps, and the bRAS system has aligned to my line profile- the download speed is now 1.12Mbps.
The system has gone back to “optimising” my download speed

But tomorrow, sometime, my line speed will drop to 160kbps, and I will have no broadband for many hours.-- again.

Is it true that a 20CN equipped exchange cannot configure a line (with an intermittent fault) such that the bRAS profile is fixed at 1Mbps permanently

Sedgeon

Connection time: 0 days, 08:36:18

Downstream:                                                        1.281 Mbps

Upstream:                                                               448 Kbps  

Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):                                     9.7 dB / 15.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):                              66.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):                              16.8 dBm / 12.5 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):                                        7747 / 292

CRC Events (Down/Up):                                            57 / 145

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):                                  0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):                                     0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):                                    0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):                                          157 / 82

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):                                 286 / 108

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Is a fixed bRAS profile possible at a 20CN equipped exchange

Go to solution

Your profile is based on your connection speed and on 20cn on a chart 

check profile

if you are having problems with adslmax you could try for a fixed conenction. Enter your phone number. And post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply

The supplied link indicates that a "1Mbps fixed" is available

Thank you!

sedgeon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
1mb fixed speeds are no longer sold
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
1mb fixed speeds are no longer sold

This page seems to indicate otherwise.

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_broadband

"Fixed rate services - Finally, there are also options for three fixed rate lines - 512kbps, 1Mbps and 2Mbps. As with IPStream 500, 1000 and 2000, these have an upstream capped at 288kbps. Note that all of the other WBC products apart from these are strictly rate adaptive (like ADSL Max)."

You may not like the restricted upstream rate.

I am sure the mods have requested a fixed rate configuration before. May be worth asking?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Order placed with BT for the 1Mbps Fixed Rate Service

It should be implemented within 36 hrs.

I will post on how well we cope with the 288kbps upstream cap

Thanks

Sedgeon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

look forward to the update and how you get on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
yes pleased do let us know as I believed the fixed services had been withdrawn from sale you learn something new each day
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

The "Fixed 1Mbps line" Saga

A conclusion - of sorts

On Sunday 8/11/14 I requested that our Broadband be configured as a "1Mbps fixed line"

I was informed that the "order" had been accepted and that the change would be initiated within 24 hrs.

In the early hours of Monday , after 8hrs of 1650kbps line speed, "sync" was lost.

No "sync" was achieved over the next 10 hours so......

I contacted BT to establish the time at which the change in configuration had occurred - but could not obtain that information. I requested to have my original MaxADSL configuration be reinstated. I was told that this was not possible and that an engineer visit would be required. On Wednesday pm the engineer rang and said I was on a fixed 2Mbps line and so "sync" would not be possible with our long line length.
The engineer contacted his helpline to request that the line be reinstated to MaxADSL - he was told that the customer had to make such a request. (The engineer could therefore only check the line. It passed)

I rang BT again, asked to speak to a level 2 , and again requested that my initial MaxADSL configuration be restored. There followed confused conversations that lasted more then 90 minutes. During this time I was transferred to a supervisor.
I believe that I was told by the supervisor
1) that there is no record of you having contacted BT regarding a "1Mbps fixed line" on Sunday 30/11/14
2)that it is a "long line" issue - and that, as you are more than 6km from the exchange, Broadband is not possible at your property and that they would look into the possibility of rerouting the line ----if there was another exchange closer.
3)that they would send out “one last engineer” to try to fix our line fault

Eventually I think I established that "BT" believed
a) that there was a record of my request for a "1Mbps fixed line"
b) that no change to my line configuration had been made.
c) that an engineer had reported that the line was too long and too noisy for the "fixed" product
d) that the lack of "sync" was a line fault
e) that a Broadband Boost engineer will visit our property on Monday the 8th December

On Monday the Broadband Boost engineer arrived and confirmed that the line was configured as "2Mbps fixed"
The engineer contacted his helpline to request that the line be reinstated to MaxADSL - he was told that the customer had to make such a request.
I rang BT again, asked to speak to a level 2 , and again requested that my initial MaxADSL configuration be restored.
Remarkably the level 2 said he was sending an email request for maxADSL to be reinstated and that it would take 24hrs. The BT engineer then spoke to the level 2 and within 2 minutes "sync" was obtained (1.6Mbps)

Well done BT - after a week I am back where I started.
I appreciate that the customer has to request changes in "product" - but why were three requests required?

The engineers did everything they could -They are hindered by inflexible BT processes.
If the BTOpenreach engineers could contact BTW directly I think this Kafkaesque loop could have been broken much more quickly and a lot of stress,time, effort and money could have been saved.

Conclusion - I dont know if a 1Mbps fixed line would have helped with our intermittent line fault- I dont really know if the product exists- It wont be me who finds out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

A lot of hassle just to end up back where you started - at least you tried

0 Ratings