Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Is a fixed bRAS profile possible at a 20CN equipped exchange

Go to solution

Being back on MaxADSL I have checked my download speed using the BTW speedtest -

One of the results:-

"For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1.0 Mbps"

Does this mean that if my line is ever stable enough to sustain 0.2 Mbps download, but no more, that I have no grounds for complaint?

For 8 years we have had speeds of greater than 0.5Mbps......and before my abortive attempt to try a 1Mbps fixed line the acceptable range of speeds from the speedtest was 0.5Mbps -1.0Mbps.

Is this line downgrade a punishment for me trying to solve my .135Mbps b-ras problem?.. or is it a reflection of the fact that BT found  my 6.9 km line  too unstable to support the 2Mbps fixed line they supplied -( ignoring the fact that the 1Mbps fixed line that the customer requested may have worked)

Currently my download speed is 0.135Mbps - linespeed 1313kbps - but I know how difficult it is to fix an intermittent fault- and so I will just wait for the line problem to "evolve" to the extent that the faults can be detected by BT kit.

But should I ignore this "downgrade"?  

Sedgeon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution
If your current connection speed is 1313kbps then correct profile is 1mb so just stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days and your profile should correct itself automatically

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

The problem is that, at least once a day, the line speed drops to 160kbps. The Snr quickly recovers to 13 - but the time for the b-ras system to respond can be slow- and the line speed will stay at 160kbps with high snr for hours - so the temptation is to reset the hub- hoping that 20 hrs or so of stable line speed will result in a change in the b-RAS - it does happen, but not often.

As a result my download speed is 0.13 most of the time   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution
If you cannot get a stable connection then you are not going to get the 1mb profile and even if you did manage the constant drops will just result in low profile again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

But if my intermittent fault results in a download speed of, for example , 0.25 Mbps, (despite a mean line speed of (for example) 1300kbps) and the situation lasts for years - I have no grounds for complaint - because BT have now decreed that my line only has to satisfy 0.2Mbps download speed for BT to honour there side of the contract. Is that just?   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Hi sedgeon,

May I ask what exchange and cabinet (if you are connected to one) you are on? You can check this by going to http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl

Have you looked at seeing if your area is within a BDUK Intervention area?

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Hi jac_95

Dolgarrog exchange, cabinet 2

The exchange will get "fibre" in 11 months time- but we are many kilometers from the cabinet........ ....  ..

Sedgeon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Okay thanks Sedgeon.

Yes your exchange area is scheduled to start having fibre rolled out to the exchange area under the Superfast Cymru BDUK fibre scheme in September 2015, however the rollout may not be complete in the exchange area until the Superfast Cymru Deadline of Spring 2016.

At the moment, the plans will probably still be in the planning stage so no information would be available yet till closer towards Sept next year.

As to the distance from the cabinet, this may an issue if your do get FTTC, however Superfast Cymru are deploying FTTP and alternative solutions in some areas where FTTC may not benefit communities/villages.

Nearer to September, You can try emailing the Superfast-Cymru BDUK scheme via info@superfast-cymru.com with your landline number, full address, postcode and exchange name to see if you are within a NGA intervention area. It may take a week to get a reply.

Though in the mean time you could try applying for the The Welsh Government's Access Broadband Cymru (ABC) scheme which allows you to apply for a grant (if you can't receive a broadband service or your speed is less than 2mbps) to have an alternative broadband technology installed at your property for example a service such as WiMax (Wireless), 4G, satellite and other Wireless technologies. Go to http://wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadbandandict/broadband/abc/ for more information.

Diolch.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.