cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Is it coincidence??

Hmm I started getting multiple scam calls in recent weeks on the BT land land from assorted numbers, Guy claims my BT router is defective and wants to gain remote access via my PC. So I does a google search for the phone number from the Mold STD dialing area 01352. I looks at WHO CALLED ME and find loads of people who have contacted BT tech services in India recently are now getting scam callers who know about customers reported faults.   It appears to be either an amazing coincidence OR someone at BT is passing on our details to scammers.  The 01352 number is phoning my 5 or 6 times a day as they appear to be doing to other BT customer reports on Who Calls Me.

Here is the link to the thread  on Who Called Me http://who-called.co.uk/Number/01352733421

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is it coincidence??

Same 01352 number called 3 times in last hour claiming to be BT tech services but number is in Mold the caller asian and cannot even telling me my own name or account number, plus we are TPS registered.   Oh for the good old days when BT was a caring professional company and if you got a dodgy caller all you had to do was phone 100 speak to the operator and she would block the number.  Now you cannot even speak to BT in the UK and when you get through to anyone they wont talk to you unless you can recite all of your security details you last used when you opened the account 40 years ago.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

the number is most likely coming from a VOIP service and is a spoofed number coming from outside the UK and outside the control of BT or any other service providers in the UK
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

So, wife spoke with someone some place at BT who did not want to give their name, Apparently if a Malicious caller claiming to be from BT Technical services using a BT issued phone number on a BT land line, phones a BT customer who is ex directory (and TPS registered)  who knew I had spoken to BT recently about technical problems, Its nothing to do with BT ?????   go figure, and looking at the assorted WHO CALLED ME TYPE websites this scam activity of targetting BT customers with recent faults is rampant  but nothing BT wants to deal with.  Oh well 18 month contract for house and 2 year contract for shop is up end of October.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

John they knew my name and that I had been having technical faults with BT very recently and I am Ex directory, BT is apparently leaking like a seive, unwilling or unable to act but very keen to try and sell me 4 call blocking phones !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

11.55 am 1471 check same number seven times this morning.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

the problem happens with other providers as well not just BT including mobile operators

TPS will not block a call they are basically toothless also the spam callers use auto diallers and the calls are random they use UK based numbers but are not based in the UK and therefore cannot be blocked by any service provider

I know of a sky customer who has had one of these calls
from someone who claims to be calling from BT about a fault it is just like the Microsoft scammers you block a number they just call you using a different one they are almost impossible to stop
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

@SteveD3 wrote:

11.55 am 1471 check same number seven times this morning.

To add to this thread - a very difficult topic!

You can achieve limited success by installing a call blocking device. These devices are becoming better and better, where you can block area codes or a string of numbers following that code. You have to select the given options very carefully over a period of time.

My phone is very quiet at the moment, just having installed a blocker a few weeks ago.

It helps to keep a check on friends and family, (who live abroad) periodically, to be sure that you haven't blocked them by mistake.

You must warn them that they need to set their id, if they use voip.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

A malicious caller claiming to be from BT , nothing much BT can do about that, using a BT issued phone number, BT don't own the British telephone number scheme, Ofcom do, and as already said, these fraudsters can spoof a number , so it's irrelevant if the number they spoof is from a BT number range, a Sky number range or Talk Talk or anyone else, they obviously pick a number that (they hope) will look legitimate

Ex directory is exactly that, a number that doesn't have a directory entry, it doesn't have magic powers that stops people calling 

The only potential issue, is that if your information has been hacked or passed to scammers, so they know you had a recent issue with broadband and know your name.

if you move to another provider, presumably it won't be Talk Talk who had a major data breach, and unless you chose a company that exclusively keeps all their data in the UK ( good look finding one ) then it's an issue that could affect most providers, if you believe your data has been compromised then contact these people

https://ico.org.uk/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

0 Ratings