cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Is it legal?

Go to solution

I can't believe I can't find anything about this anywhere?

I am wondering if paying for a landline in advance is actually legal?

I mean, where else do you have to pay for something upfront before having used it? Council tax maybe.

I have written to BT and am awaiting a reply, but I don't want to pay £20 a month in advance anymore. I think it's morally wrong if not illegal.

I'm sure BT will have the legal part covered in small print somewhere, but if I can avoid it I will.

After upgrading to this awful infinity my bill has increased by 25-50% because of it.

I wasn't paying for line rental in advance before infinity.

Has anyone wondered about the legality of this before?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is it legal?

Go to solution

Why would it be illegal?. It is your choice if you want the service. If you don't want to pay, don't take the service. If you want the service you have to agree to the Terms and Conditions of the service.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12535/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDYwNzI3Nzk1L...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

BT Retail has always charged for line rental in advance, and calls in arrears.

Its either one month in advance, or three months in advance.

Are you on whole bill monthly or quarterly direct debit, where the amount can vary depending on the calls you make. Or are you on a monthly payment plan, where you pay the same each month?

The monthly payment plan usually end up with a larger monthly payments, to allow for possible extra calls you may make.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@moleinahole01 wrote:

I mean, where else do you have to pay for something upfront before having used it? Council tax maybe.

I have written to BT and am awaiting a reply, but I don't want to pay £20 a month in advance anymore. I think it's morally wrong if not illegal.

I'm sure BT will have the legal part covered in small print somewhere, but if I can avoid it I will.

After upgrading to this awful infinity my bill has increased by 25-50% because of it.

All telephone companies are the same (including mobiles).

You are actually paying for the infrastructure and maintenance etc - you then pay for the calls after you've made them.

Before infinity, how were you paying for line rental ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Line rental, whether with Infinity or normal broadband, is/was always paid in advance.

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@moleinahole01 wrote:

Of course it is

Why is it wrong, you have to pay it sometime, it certainly isn't illegal. You agreed to the terms and conditions of the service.

Everybody else does, so I'm sure you were.

No

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

moleinahole01 wrote:

I mean, where else do you have to pay for something upfront before having used it?

Accommodation, storage, car parking, gym, public transport, spectator sport, takeaways, holidays, entertainment, tool hire, almost anything else rented.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@moleinahole01 wrote:

I mean, where else do you have to pay for something upfront before having used it?

Basically anything you buy from a shop.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
A great answer conrad
0 Ratings