cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Is it worth my while migrating to BT

At the moment I am with Idnet and have a connection of 3MB, which is about the fastest I can get because of the distance form the exchange.  After readin all these posts about connection problems, overcharging for downloads etc etc would it be a wise move to change to an unkown quantity?  Any feedback would be appreciated.  I know BT have a large number of customers and so would get a large number of complaints but this all seems to be getting out of hand now.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is it worth my while migrating to BT

Hi cavllas, thats the nature of forums, the vast majority of posters visit the forums because they have a problem to sort out. The vast majority of BT Subscribers don't have a problem so very rarely end up here.

Its the same on all forums people are there for info/help.

A lot of the complaints about overcharging for downloads, I think can be put down to people looking for the cheapest price, OPTION 1, and in this day and age with graphic rich web pages /Music downloads/live video streams and the 1,001 other things you can do on the Internet it is very easy to go over the limit.

I saw one post today. poster said he was alone in his flat and coudn't understand why after 3 days he was nearing his 10GB limit. Well I can use that easily if I wanted too.

I have been back with BT since about March, no trouble with the switch over of the line and broadband from sky to BT ADSL, speeds were about the same. Upgraded to Infinity as soon as it was available, again no problems with speed or equipment. Maybe I have been lucky.

My only real gripe is that the Wholesale checker was giving out wrong data for me for months, and I would prefer to have UK based call centres.(Which I have not used yet).

Remember if you use P2P, there are possibly better ISP's for you.

A lot of the problems on the forums are from users who are fairly new to computers and use the supplied CD with desktop help etc. It certainly helps if you are a bit computer savvy.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi Toekneem,

I definately don't use p2p and have been dealing with computers etc for over 40 years and the iternet since its inceptuion.  It just seems that recently there have been quite a few people complaining about the BT useage meter going overboard with overcharging and it seems to be a new problem that's raising its head.  I expect I will probably now wait until this glitch has been sorted out.  It is a shame that BT help lines etc are based overseas, those operators have very little conception of our way of life or geography and stick rigidly to scripts that give no lattitude for ingenuity.  I do think it's time BT listened to its users and bought the help lines back to this country.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Agree about the help lines, and i will reiterate  about the usage meter, 10Gb is not a lot of bandwith in this day and age. On a bad day with Microsoft security and other updates that can amount to many Mb's, Gaming, graphic rich web sites, it does not take long to go over.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

from my experience with BT which is only a short time I would not change 

I really wish I had read these forums before I changed over 

but who knows my problems may be solved when I get to speak to someone

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

After reading all posts and after receiving a contradicatory email form BT I have decided NOT to transfer to BT Broadband.  It seems that the organization has very little idea how to run such a business and their help lines seem very arrogant and unhelpful.  I think I'll stay with my present provider for the time being, at least I talk to someone form this country and they know what they are talking about.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Unfortunately  every forum that I subscribe too is full of people looking for help, that is the nature of forums.

I can go to Think broadband, Sky User, Talk talk and many others and its the same wherever you go.

"I need help."

"Customer services are a disgrace"

"Why is this"

etc, etc etc.

BT is no different.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings