cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Is my broadband artifically capped?

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I had BT broadband setup on my line again, the line has been inactive for about 4 years completely. However, 4 years ago when I had broadband on this line with BT, I was getting about 46Mbps or slightly better on good days. Skip yesterday and today after installation, I'm lucky if a speedtest comes back north of 34Mbps.

I tried phoning BT customer support who just said I was above the minimum guarantee and there's nothing they can do other than change may package, which I thought was a bit odd.

My Smart Hub 2 is connected directly to the master socket with the cable provided, and the PC I am testing the speed from is connected to the router with a 1 meter ethernet cat 8 cable. As I said previously, it's been 4 years, but it doesn't seem very realistic having a roughly 30% loss in download speed.

Here's the line stats:

adsl.jpg

...and here's the technical log from my router:

router.jpg

@DavidM and @PaddyB I've seen a few very similar posts you've assisted with and managed to fix, could you help with this case at all? I'm not sure if the line is artificially limited or maybe if it's something to do with DLM, but it would be nice to get speeds near to what I was getting previously.

Much appreciated and kind regards

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is my broadband artifically capped?

you have 35mb connection speed which is right at bottom of your expected speed range.  BT speeds are connection speeds not download speeds.  there is guarantee on download speed

which exchange and cab are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

Download speeds was perhaps the wrong term, but in any case I'm still experiencing 30% less connection speed than I was previously, tested both now and then using speedtest.net and fast.com multiple times.

I'm on the SHIPSTON ON STOUR exchanged, Cabinet 1.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

checking speeds on speedtest or fast is download speed and as I said there is no guarantee.  your cab is ECI and unfortunately will not give G.INP speed boost

you just need to maintain a stable connection and your speed may improve nearer attainable - speed is certainly not capped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Appreciate you looking into it. I understand keeping a stable connection may improve speed over time as DLM builds a profile of the line, but in the past it has never been this slow. With no option for fibre in my area currently, a 30% reduction in line speed on average is significant for my household. Hopefully someone from the BT staff team can see if there's anything going on behind the scenes or if there is a technical fault on the line.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

a drop after 4 years is not unusual with more customers on cabinet and increase in crosstalk will result in lower speed that you had 4 years ago.

need to give time for line to settle  hopefully your phone in is silent with no noise - unless you now have digital voice

0 Ratings