cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beckylt
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Is my exchange's internet about to get switched off?

I am about to move to a new house and decided to look up my local exchange for the performance and what was available (Pulborough in West Sussex) I'm a bit concerned to see that the exchange appears to currently be on the 20CN circuit, which I know is being switched off in the next few weeks. From looking around there doesn't seem to be a date as of yet for an upgrade to 21CN or fibre! I'm quite concerned this will mean we won't have any internet connection once the decommission has taken place.

Please can someone advise? I need the internet for my work!
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Is my exchange's internet about to get switched off?

Do no worry, circuits are being migrated to the 21CN, this is been going on for a few years now. If you are with BT Broadband, then nothing will change except you will be on the new 21CN MSANs.

0 Ratings
beckylt
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I know it's meant to but with about a month to go (it's either 28 Feb or 31 March that we've been given final warning), and no confirmed date of upgrade, it does look a little bleak. Having checked the various sites all seem to say the same - 20CN still :(! I do hope they migrate it soon! I would have thought though the exchange info would have an update if it was in the diary.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

There is nothing showing here about any turnoff, where did you see it?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Put your exchange name into the box.

0 Ratings
beckylt
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

It's only because I know via work and the business side of the industry but just googled: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/bt-near-final-phase-of-retirement-for-uk-20cn-broadband...

Was meant to be closed November but it's been delayed while they move final major customers across. Just checked you link (thanks- much clearer than others) and it confirms only 20CN at the exchange. I'm hoping an admin might be able to give me some good news!
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Not sure what your concerns are. You will either have 20CN or 21CN internet, you will not be left without internet at all.

0 Ratings
beckylt
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thee is no 21CN enabled and 20CN is being switched off. That's the concern.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Where does it say anything there about it being switched off, I have never heard of such a thing?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

BT are NOT going to switch off 20CN without implementing 21CN!! It will be one or the other.

0 Ratings
beckylt
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

The 20CN network is being retired. BT are focussing on fibre and 21CN. The whole 20CN network customers have to be migrated to another source or they will go offline. This is in terms of major networks. As the exchange only appears to be wired to 20 CN, it will cease working. This is why I'm on here, to see if BT can tell me if they have provisions as the exchange and local people don't seem to have any news.

Another link:
http://www.timico.co.uk/blog/2013/04/16/end-of-the-road-for-20cn-broadband-services
0 Ratings