cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 19

Is my hh3a faulty or is it the ethernet cable?

On Saturday my connection dropped out -wireless and wired,  did all the usual stuff including a factory reset. Also rang the helpline who found nothing wrong ans suggested it was my laptop. On running the Win10 trouble shooter is was stating that both the wired and wireless connections didn't have a Valid IP config. I have no idea why this happened as it occurred during a browsing session. I was unable to access the hub wired or wireless.

So today i was messing around to try and fix it I noticed that the wireless connection wasn't showing an IPv4 Default Gateway address so on the network connection I manually inserted the 192.168.1.254 as a last resort and it worked - but I have absolutely no idea why.

However I still cannot connect by ethernet but checking the ipconfig it has an address of 169.254.53.78(preferred) and on the hub device info page it shows the same but also classes it as a static address. I have been unable to do anything about it as I'm not really computer competent.

I have tried to do some research on google and it seems that there may be a problem with the ethernet cable or the hub itself.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do? Could you possibly avoid too many technical terms as you will baffle me.

I only have the laptop as my single internet connected item no phones etc.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Is my hh3a faulty or is it the ethernet cable?

The lack of wired and wireless is interesting, combined with what sounds like a successful line test.

A few things to try:

1) power the HH3 off for 5 minutes, let it cool right down, then power it on again.

2) reset the HH3 to its default settings.

3) connect your PC to a different ethernet port on your HH3.

4) get a second ethernet cable and try that in place of the existing cable. 

BTW, can you see any neighbours wireless networks on your PC?

The 169.254.x.y address is an IPv4 autoconf address (it's self assigned by the PC and is typically assigned before it gets an address from the router, it's the classic sign of the home router not being accessible).

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 19

@flamethrower wrote:

The lack of wired and wireless is interesting, combined with what sounds like a successful line test.

A few things to try:

1) power the HH3 off for 5 minutes, let it cool right down, then power it on again.

2) reset the HH3 to its default settings.

3) connect your PC to a different ethernet port on your HH3.

4) get a second ethernet cable and try that in place of the existing cable. 

BTW, can you see any neighbours wireless networks on your PC?

The 169.254.x.y address is an IPv4 autoconf address (it's self assigned by the PC and is typically assigned before it gets an address from the router, it's the classic sign of the home router not being accessible).

1-3  Did all that on Saturday with no effect. Have tried all four ports on the HH3 even now but no internet connection. I don't yet have a spare cable.

I could see all available wireless networks at all times even my BTWiFi one.

I think there is likely to be a fault with the laptop regarding the connections which could be why no default gateway address was being allocated but it seems strange that having manually allocated it the wireless works but wired doesn't. It could even be the ethernet port on the laptop but that in itself wouldn't have caused the wireless to be affected. The laptop is about 5/6 years old so it could be wear and tear. The drivers appear to be up to date.

At least I can use a wireless connection which is what I do normally so I may leave things as they are. The hub would be likely replaced in about 6 months as Openreach have now just installed a new shiny fibre cab but it still needs to be connected to everything and I may see if I can afford a new laptop at Xmas.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Okay, it sounds like you have a workable situation.

If you wanted to check more on your laptop, you may be able to find link status info in Windows (assuming it's windows). That'd tell you whether things are working at the ethernet level:

http://www.wintuts.com/Check-Network-Connection-Status

You could also try seeing when the network driver was updated and potentially rolling back a version to see if that makes a difference as it's not unheard of for a driver update to break networking (the drivers are pretty complex and usually cover a range of chips that have small differences which makes it easy for the developers break something):

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-roll-back-a-driver-in-windows-2619217

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Have you tried uninstalling your network card on your laptop and restarting the laptop. Windows 10 will re-find it and reinstall it. This will at least rule out any corruption with the card drivers etc.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
  3. Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
  4. After uninstalling the driver, select the Start  button > Power  > Restart.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 19

@gg30340 wrote:

Have you tried uninstalling your network card on your laptop and restarting the laptop. Windows 10 will re-find it and reinstall it. This will at least rule out any corruption with the card drivers etc.

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
  2. In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
  3. Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
  4. After uninstalling the driver, select the Start  button > Power  > Restart.

If i'm really honest I am very apprehensive about doing this incase the connection goes again - how will Windows find them without an internet connection.

There appears to be several drivers.

Network adapters.PNGNetworks.PNG

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Windows does not need an Internet connection to find the drivers to re-install the Network Card. It will do what it does as though you were installing a new operating system on the laptop. It will use the pre-installed drivers that it used when Windows was installed onto your laptop.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 19

Go to your computer manufacturers website and download the most recent drivers for the network card, ethernet and wireless.  (Broadcom in the list), then you will be able to reinstall the drivers if they are more recent than the Drivers that come with Windows.

The rest in that list are from Windows itself, so no thing needed.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

So I took the plunge and uninstalled the ethernet adapter first and it worked - got a wired connection.

I then uninstalled the 802.11n wireless adapter and on restarting was right back with no connection re no valid IP config for both wired and wireless so I then uninstalled the ethernet again and everything is back at the momentSmiley LOL

Did I do the wrong thing by uninstalling what I thought was the wireless adapter or does this indicate some other unknown glitch?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

With laptops here if using only the wireless connection I usually just disable the ethernet adaptor in Device Manager and vice versa if using ethernet.

0 Ratings