cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 23

Is the HH3 ok for me ?

Hi All I just want to know if the problem people report on here  with the HH3 wireless connection is if there running more than one wireless connection or Laptops  ? as i  only run the one wireless Laptop in my house ,and i,m not into gaming etc  so don,t need extra set ups ,  i don,t really want to spend money on a new router 🙂 any advice please   thanks 🙂

JamJar62
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Is the HH3 ok for me ?

The hub is fine for most people. The best advice I can give is give it a try and see how it is for you. If it's not working for what you want, then think about spending extra on something different 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 23

In my honest opinion, the only complaint i have about the HH3 is the wireless, but since most of my devices are wired, no problems for me, even when gaming.

If you have lots of wireless devices, then the rest would be up to you if you wanted to spend a little more cash on a new one.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

I have a second router attached to the Homeplugs (for BT Vision) in the lounge to act as a WAP / repeater or extender to give better coverage around the house and it works fine

My main PC, works laptop and printer are wired to the HH3 then wife's laptop, two smartphones and 2 tablets connect wirelessly with no problems

The only wireless issue I had with the HH3 was the wireless range which the above has resolved
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 23

I've had Infinity for just over a month. Regards wireless devices I've got a laptop, iPad, iPhone, 3DS, PS Vita and an HP printer and so far I've had no issues. Obviously they are not all on at the same time with maybe 2 or 3 being used simultaneously. That said they are all used in the same room as the Home Hub except the printer which is in the room next door on the same floor and the laptop which is downstairs in the living room. All my wireless devices support 802.11n except the 3DS which only supports 802.11g. The laptop which is a MacBook Air only supports 802.11n draft. In short everything works fine with expected speeds. Edit: I've also got a Wii which is currently wireless but it hasn't been turned on in a while at least not since I got Infinity installed so I don't know how well it will work but it's in the same room as the Home Hub only a few feet away and I should think it will be fine. I do think the wireless experience is going to vary for everyone as everyone's setup is different as is the location of their devices in relation to the Home Hub. The number of floors and walls as well as their thickness will play a part.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 23

thanks for the replies and helpful advice 🙂 I have a p.c wired upstairs in my bedroom and i,m on my laptop downstairs in the front room ,which is no distance much ,so fingers crossed i get a good connection ,my Laptop is a Dell XPS L 702 with a Wireless card 1030 N type ,which is good 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

Hi Jamjar, I think we've had this discussion before. For me the HH3 works fine on both wired and wireless. It does help if you use fixed IP addresses for your computers. You might find (for reasons I don't understand) that even with wireless N in your laptop you only get a 65mbps wireless connection - and this will not be enough to give 40mbps throughput on the internet. If that is the case, it might be cheaper and more effective to look at using an external wireless adapter on the laptop rather than replacing the HH3 by something you buy. I use a netgear WNA3100 adapter on my laptop, and my wireless connection is almost always over 100mbps, often up to 130 and even 144 - and the internet throughput is nearly as fast as on my wired computers upstairs (35 to 38 on wireless, 37 to 39.5 on wired).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 23

thanks for the reply ,and i was looking at the adapter option should it be needed ,what is the difference between the WNA3100 & WNA3100M apart from the size ? 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 23

I used the HH3 with no issues at all - setup was all wireless in a bog standard semideteched house

HH3 in hallway served:

imac 

laptop 

iphone

blackberry

ps3

the only reason i moved to time capsule was for dual band and built in backups. But the HH3 was fine - still got it for any emergency . Just work out exactly what you need a router to do.

You can always change later on if your needs grow (there's a very liquid market in routers)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 23

Yeah i think its not as bad as whats written , i am on Be at present with there Thompson 575 router/modem and if that works on wireless can,t see why the HH3 won,t work ha! 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings