Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mister_C
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 23

Re: Is the HH3 ok for me ?

@jamjar62 wrote:
Yeah i think its not as bad as whats written , i am on Be at present with there Thompson 575 router/modem and if that works on wireless can,t see why the HH3 won,t work ha! 🙂
I was with BE before and had been with them for about seven years so I had a Thompson router/modem which was quite old obviously. It didn't support the wireless n standard and my wireless wasn't that great. It worked and it was OK but the signal wasn't as good. On my Home Hub 3 which does support wireless n my wireless has been pretty much great so far and I have no complaints. That said I will probably at some point get a different third party router or modem/router combo. I've been considering the Apple Time Capsule as I need a large capacity back up solution now. The only thing is it only has three usable Ethernet ports and ideally I need at least four. I don't really want to use a switch as its not really practical. I could probably get by with three as my main three devices that need to be connected by Ethernet are my Mac Mini, PS3 and Xbox 360.
0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 12 of 23

well, i can def recommend the TC.

It is expensive, but right now on my wireless imac im getting 243 mb/s (upstairs and 3 rooms away from TC)

the dual band thing works a treat...and wireless back up is great peace of mind

0 Ratings
Mister_C
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 23

@Alan63 wrote:

well, i can def recommend the TC.

It is expensive, but right now on my wireless imac im getting 243 mb/s (upstairs and 3 rooms away from TC)

the dual band thing works a treat...and wireless back up is great peace of mind

Yes the main thing holding me back is the price. Regards back up it would be wired anyway as my Mac Mini would be connected to it using Ethernet. I've bought a PS Vita plus games and accessories back in February and I just bought a new pair of £250 headphones so I'm not to keen on another expensive purchase right now. Western Digital has a new USB powered portable 2TB HD ( I don't currently have any spare power sockets ) but it's £175. I guess for a few quid more I can get a 2TB Time Capsule that will replace my Home Hub and so I can plug it in to the available power socket. The 3TB would be better but that's a lot more expensive.
0 Ratings
Mister_C
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 23

Out of interest is the Time Capsule straight forward to setup with Infinity and the OR modem. I presume I would have to obviously change the security key on all my wireless devices.
0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 15 of 23

very straightfwd to set up - I went 2TB for same reason and the fact that it'll likely last longer that i truly need

setup: 

unplug current router

plug in TC

go to mac and configure using 'airport utility'. From memroy there's about 4 screens/panels to complete

I kept same SSID and password as i had eastablished on HH3 and all remote devices immediately hooked back up (imac/laptop/ps3/iphone/blackberry) it was as painless as i would have wanted. i reckon 15mins end to end. The only thing different was settingup the 5GHz band - which literally was a tick in a box .....and i handled that quite well even if i say so myself)

if you google 'set up timecapsule' you'll get some info.

0 Ratings
Mister_C
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 23

@Alan63 wrote:

very straightfwd to set up - I went 2TB for same reason and the fact that it'll likely last longer that i truly need

setup: 

unplug current router

plug in TC

go to mac and configure using 'airport utility'. From memroy there's about 4 screens/panels to complete

I kept same SSID and password as i had eastablished on HH3 and all remote devices immediately hooked back up (imac/laptop/ps3/iphone/blackberry) it was as painless as i would have wanted. i reckon 15mins end to end. The only thing different was settingup the 5GHz band - which literally was a tick in a box .....and i handled that quite well even if i say so myself)

if you google 'set up timecapsule' you'll get some info.

Thanks for that. I'll have to keep that in mind. I know in general Apple stuff is pretty user friendly having used primarily their products over the last 5-7 years.
0 Ratings
jamjar62
Expert
Message 17 of 23

Yeah i have looked at the Apple Time Capsule Router too, but i was under the impression it was for an IMac system ? so am i right that it works with Windows 7 ? 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 23

Hi JamJar62. I'd not heard of the WNA3100M before, so I can't really say. My guess is that since 3100 is larger, it probably has a better antenna. Also, since it comes with a stand and a connecting lead, you can move around a bit to look for better reception without having to move the computer too.

During my experiments to get decent wireless performance I tried a mini sized (like the 3100M) adapater from Edimax. It did not work at all well for me.

0 Ratings
Mister_C
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 23

@jamjar62 wrote:
Yeah i have looked at the Apple Time Capsule Router too, but i was under the impression it was for an IMac system ? so am i right that it works with Windows 7 ? 🙂
Nah !! Apple don't discriminate. They allow Windows users too. 😉
0 Ratings
jamjar62
Expert
Message 20 of 23

Oh interesting Mister _C so you would recomend an AC on Infinity then ? for future reference 🙂
JamJar62
0 Ratings