cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Is there a Mac number of connections allowed?

Had an issue with an Apple TV whereby it was connecting to the WiFi but not getting an IP in auto, in the settings it didn't have an IP, router, DNS. I had to manually put in after checking another device and worked fine.

The person who helped said to check that BT don't restrict the amount of devices that are actually connected to the internet (as it was connecting to my internal WiFi). Am I making sense? He stated that some ISP have a limit.

We have numerous devices, phones, tablets, TV's etc etc, does BT have such a restriction, or is he (me) taking nonsense!?!

Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is there a Mac number of connections allowed?

There is no limit (other than the 253 ip addresses available to connect to the hub)
0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Ok thanks. So realistically there is a limit of 253, well below what I handed in the house then. Strange i only had to configure this one manually then....
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Did you consider that it is the Apple TV that is the problem rather than BT?

If you do an Internet search there are a few posts there about Apple TVs having a problem connecting to networks

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204400

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

@QoQ there isn't actually a 'limit'. In the default configuration there are only 253 IPs available for allocation, but this can easily be modified if needed by changing the LAN IP/subnet configuration. I have no idea if this is possible with BT's Home Hub but it is certainly possible with third-party routers.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

I did think the Apple TV was the problem. That's why in phoned Apple as thought there WiFi card had went caput.

I connected it to Ethernet and it connected fine. He said to copy the IP, DNS etc I to the WiFi and it worked. There is another exact same model of Apple TV that worked fine.

He just said to ensure as some ISP have a limit on actual internet connections .
0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

@QoQ wrote:

He just said to ensure as some ISP have a limit on actual internet connections .

I'd love to know which ISPs as I've never heard of this before, unless you're talking in the millions which could be considered an attack.

Which Hub are you using? I have seen some DHCP/DNS issues with the Smart Hub posted on the forum, so that could be related.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

No idea it's just what he said to check in general. Happy it's working, just wondered why one device works fine in DHCP and other I had to configure manually that's all

I have a BT smart Hub (HH6)
Thanks
0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@QoQ wrote:
No idea it's just what he said to check in general. Happy it's working, just wondered why one device works fine in DHCP and other I had to configure manually that's all

I have a BT smart Hub (HH6)
Thanks

That seems to be a known issue with the Smart Hub looking at the megathread discussing it's problems. Unfortunately, very few if any of the issues have been officially acknowledged by BT much less fixed. Hopefully with time they'll get a solid firmware out.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

What thread the general HH6 smart Hub you mean? or specifically an Apple TV one?

I've had my 6 week old smart Hub just die, green solid light issue. Poor as afterwards found a common issue with it
0 Ratings