cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaaaaaaa1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Is there a simple way to keep an iPhone 6 connected to BT superfast broadband?

Go to solution

Is there a simple way to keep an iPhone 6 connected to BT superfast broadband?

Since "upgrading" to the faster service my Iphone (have tried a 5 and a 6) does not stay connected to the wifi and takes a very long time to reconnect. It's virtually unusable.

It rarely shows the wifi icon and often shows the 3g and 4g icons instead. We don't even get 3g and 4g in our area, nor does the phone serve any internet when showing the 3g/4g icons.

I have tried the double channel options on the new Smart Hub router to no avail.

BT advised me to tried a wired connection which was not very helpful for an Iphone.....

I had no issues whatsoever before the upgrade and would really prefer BT just downgraded me but it seems to be a one way street.

Any advice much appreciated.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Is there a simple way to keep an iPhone 6 connected to BT superfast broadband?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Usually splitting the channels so that the 5G channel has a "5" added to the end, and making sure that the iPhone only connects to the 2.4GHz channel, solves the problem.

Its important that you delete any reference to the 5GHz connection on the iPhone, otherwise it will try to swap between the two, and lose connection in the process.

Here is an example screen.

channel split.jpg

0 Ratings
aaaaaaaa1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Re: Is there a simple way to keep an iPhone 6 connected to BT superfast broadband?

Go to solution

Thanks so much for your prompt response.

BT took 8 weeks to come back with nothing ; you have made a helpful suggestion after 8 minutes......

I will do as you suggest and come back to the forum to report the results.

Many Many Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

My daughter had the same issue with an iPhone and a laptop, and it sorted out the connection problem.

0 Ratings
aaaaaaaa1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

Sadly its gone already. Lost internet, 4G showing but nothing coming through and can't convince the phone that its not connected.

Back to the drawing board. (Preferably back to my old router and internet contract...if only.....)

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Did you succeed in splitting the wireless bands? If you did, you should see the 5GHz SSID being transmitted with a "5" on the end?

0 Ratings
aaaaaaaa1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

I already had split the bands.

I removed the -5 one from the phone's chosen connection options

The phone now wants to use the non existent 4G connection and can't get through to the internet.

It had been ok on the 2.4ghz connection for a few hours

0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

Okey dokey.

Try first resetting netwwork connections on the iphone (settings - general - reset - reset netwprk settings) then try to connect to the Smart Hub.

if that doesn't work, you may need to set a static ip for the phone.

See here.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Have you tried going into your phone's wifi settings and entering them yourself. 

Go go into Settings, Wifi, click on your hubs name. Some dhcp settings should appear. Copy them down. Click on static and enter your settings there. Then click back and it should be saved. You may need to turn phone off and on.

0 Ratings
aaaaaaaa1966
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks.

For the static ip set up the links says

"enter these settings IP address: 192.168.1.xxx"

Is that literally xxx (three x's) or should it be a number ?

0 Ratings