cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_s4444
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Is there anyone at BT that cares about customers? How do I contact them?!

Go to solution

I've been having issues with my BT landline and broadband for a while and every time I try to contact BT about it, they always seem so incompetent and unwilling to actually help me.  I receive conflicting information from different advisors and no one I speak to seems to want to take ownership of the issue and resolve it for me.

Does anyone know if there is a number or email address that I could contact who would actually care about my issue and want to see it through to resolution?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Is there anyone at BT that cares about customers? How do I contact them?!

Go to solution
If you post more information about your problem then we can try and help you further
0 Ratings
DavidBRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

I was going to say the same as John.  Although I don't know who else to contact at BT, we might be able to help.  I know nothing much about the telephone lines, but may be able to help on the broadband.

0 Ratings
paul_s4444
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

No problem, I will do my best to explain, sorry for the long post!

I can't remember exactly when my problem started, I would guess it would be about 8 months a go.

The issue is that we have an intermitent crackling on the line.  It has always been just the phone, but recently it has also started to impact broadband and it sometimes drops.  I have noticed that if I receive an incoming phone call, that the broadband is more likely toi drop shotly after receiving the call.

In November, an engineer visited and said that the problem was to do with an extension socket upstairs, he changed the socket, but this had little affect, but I still got charged £129.99 for the unnecessary work.  At the time, I was really busy with a building project on the house, so did not call BT - I had much bigger problems on my hands!  However, it has got worse recently and is now affecting the broadband which is why I have contacted BT again.

Since that visit, I have disconnected that socket from the master socket and the problem still persists, so I know that is nothing to do with it

I had an engineer visit a couple of days a go and unfortuantely at the time there was no crackling.  He could not find any issuesd with wiring in the house, so looked back along the line to the exchange and found a couple of joints that needed to be re-sealed.  He did that which I thought might fix it, but it hasn't.

I called BT the day afyer the engineer visited to explain that the issue was not fixed and asked for advice.  The BT advisor I spoke to, said something along the lines of "well, what do you want us to do about it?" I was a little taken back by that, as I thought BT would be advising me! After a lengthey conversation and test, he booked an engineer to visit the next day - but I later found out on that day that no engineer was booked!

I have booked another engineer to come out now and received the same threatening disclaimer of how BT would charge me if it was not to do with their network.  The visit is booked for next Saturday, so we will see how that goes, but I am pretty sure that they will not get to the bottom of the problem.

So, to summarise, I have two issues I would like resolved:

1) Reclaiming the £129.99 that I paid to BT in November as the engineer did not do a thorough enough job of finding the problem and fixed something else that made no difference.

I have opened a complaint about this, but the advisor told me that it was unlikely I would get it back, but someone would call mw within 72 hours.  This is conflicting advice given by BT as another advisor I spoke to told me that their was an engineer dispute team that dealt with these issues and it was easy to open a case (it wasn't).

2) Fix the crackling and broadband dropping issue.

I have tried different filters etc and still get the problem if I connect the phone directly into the master socket and I have also tried another phone.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
DavidBRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Paul

I can see how frustrating this issue is for you. Unfortunately not being a technician I'm not likely to be much help here, but having said that a friend of mine had a similar problem and to cut a long story short, she realised that it was worse when it is raining.  BT sent an engineer to do a thorough test and discovered an issue with the cables that entered her house. That fixed her problem.

That might be a coincidence in your case, but with that in mind it's worth keeping a note of the weather conditions when it's at its worst.  From what you have described does sound very similar to her problem because it wasn't like that every day, only when it rained and perhaps the wires were shorting if water got in...

Good luck with this.

Regards

David

0 Ratings
paul_s4444
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Yes, I think it worse when it is raining, or just after.  I explained this to the last engineer, who was OK and took the time to investigate properly.  I suspect the issue is with a joint somewhere between the house and the exchange, so will need an engineer to do a really thorough job of investigating all the joints and maybe even replacing some.

I don't think I should be expected to foot the bill for the engineer visit in November though as there is clearly an issue with the BT cables before it gets to the house.  I am hoping to get somewhere with claiming that back, but BT make it very difficult as the customer service representives give conflicing information.  It would be great if anyone knew a better way to contact BT so I could talk to someone who knows what they talking about.

Thanks

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
'I suspect the issue is with a joint somewhere between the house and the exchange'

Really narrows it down, be sure to tell the Engineer that. 😒
0 Ratings
fedup7
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

my sympathy's, mine is "only" since  25th april. crackling phone and now also an intermittent high pitch sound and no broadband at all. have had 3 engineer visits to date and am about to book the fourth for next week.

feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

fed up7 when you phone to report the fault do not mention broadband in the call as it is a voice fault and mentioning broadband will put the job in the wrong work stack

0 Ratings
DavidBRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Another thought... if there is a possible fault somewhere between your house and the exchange, ask then to move your phone line over to a completely different set of cables at the box in the street.  That leaves a problem for them to resolve for themselves, or just don't use those wires in the future.

Anyway, just an idea...

0 Ratings