cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Is there cable or exchange damage in the Rainham East London?

Hi

My mum is with TalkTalk and they have lost phone and broadband.

TalkTalk have now listed this problem on their site as "Openreach Copper Cable Break – Rainham Exchange - Some Phone and Broadband Customers are experiencing Loss of Service."

They are now saying fix date 31 Dec and it went down on the 24th!

They list this as being looked at by an OpenReach engineer BUT I can't seen any reference on BT about a problem in this area! Plenty of others listed but not this exchange or area!

Can someone here confirm if this is a BT copper break or is TalkTalk passing the buck?

TalkTalk are falling short as they're not sending all sms updates out so would appreciate any info anyone has on the problem!

Many thanx

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is there cable or exchange damage in the Rainham East London?

Openreach are a separate company, and nothing to do with BT Retail. Openreach maitain the external network.

Only TalkTalk can speak to Openreach, so what they tell you is likely to be correct.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

check here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanx Keith Beddoe

Well in a roundabout I was simply trying to ascertain if other BT customers had problems as TalkTalk did state that "major damage to cabling affecting all internet providers in your area!

That why was trying to find something that could verify this, and I still haven't!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Those links that imjolly gave you, are the only ones, as BT Retail customers, we can use.

There have been no reports today, on this BT Customer forum, of people having any problems.

0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanx imjolly

I had already checked the links you posted prior to posting on this forum.

Apart from TalkTalk there seems to be no mention of a problem in the Rainham area even though phone and broadband went down on the 24th Dec 2012!

0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanx Keith

That's what made me want to try and find out what is going on because the lack of info from TalkTalk and them stating all providers are affected seems to be incorrect now!

I did search this forum before posting and appreciate the replies.

I know strictly speaking this issue has nothing to do with BT, but as this issue could have been a problem for other BT customers like myself I was surprised my post was moved to the Lounge! Just a small moan, not a complaint 🐵

and again the feedback is very appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

There is no other place for people to discuss non-BT subjects, as the other boards relate to BT Service Affecting issues.

Have you looked on the TalkTalk forums here http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/

as they may have something about the problem?

It says.

Weather emergency

We are currently experiencing an increase in faults being reported due to the extreme weather.
0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Understood about the non-BT subjects etc.

Yes I've looked at the TalkTalk forums, searched all of them and no match for Rainham!

That extreme weather message is also listed on other parts of their site! But there has been no extreme weather prior to the line going down!

For some reason I have a mental image of an ACME rain cloud sitting right over that exchange box lol

So that's clearly a standard message being put out by them for the bad weather in other parts of the country. Some flooding must be a problem in some areas, there is no flooding in the Rainham area tho and the exchange is not in a low down sort of place at all!

Update. The line is now part working although very bad voice quality and still no broadband.

Seems strange to me if this was a cable break as they stated and now its part working but sounds like a frying-pan full of bacon!

Just looking through a few posts on the TalkTalk forums I can see some posts that sound like the same problem but no location info or exchange is given so could be anywhere.

0 Ratings