cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonN
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Is this FTTP hardware installation set up still current?

Go to solution

Image linked from the excellent  and helpful Tom Goskar's blog.

http://tom.goskar.com/2013/10/16/my-fibre-to-the-premises-fttp-installation-part-2/

IMG_20131015_110246-e1381855579545-500x375

The blog is a couple of years old now - before the days of intergrated hh5.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is this FTTP hardware installation set up still current?

Go to solution

Hi,

I had FTTP installed approx. a month ago. My install is the same as shown in this image:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/attachments/sky-broadband-fibre-help/3948-fttp-area-sky-enabled-excha...

So basically the same as shown in your image with updated ONT & BBU.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Yeah it's still the same. All FTTP still needs the ONT (optical network termination) device. The home hub 5 doesn't have an input for the optical cable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
SimonN
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@airgun Thanks! It'll make a difference to where I can install.
So - may I ask another stupid question?
Does the ONT work as a modem? I'm asking because, I'd like to replace the HH5 at some point (especially if a type A turns up.)
If it was FTTC I could just remove the HH5 with another router. With BT's move to integrated modem/router I don't think I could do that. (Unless the ONT functions as a modem)
Thanks for your help! 🙂

Edit: Thanks you too @Webby

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Yes, essentially, the ONT is the modem, the hub 5 is purely a router for FTTP connections.

You can use your own router if you want, there are a number out there that are fine for FTTP, just make sure they can handle the 300mbps (if that's the package you go for).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings