cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 12

Re: Is this a g.fast Pod?

It would need a pod.

It requires space and power. It isn't passive equipment.

The power is borrowed from the FTTC cabinet the same way G.Fast pods are.

Here's the article I sourced the image above from.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8807-okehampton-exchange-now-has-over-3-000-premises-with-openre...

"Oneof the changes in the roll-out has been the addition of active hardware for FTTP deeper into the network, i.e. until recently the Openreach GPON FTTP roll-out was passive between the headend exchange and customer premises. Deploying active hardware e.g. mini OLT units can help extend the reach of the GPON network and allow for more PON's (each serves 32 properties) while using a single fibre. The use of a single previously available fibre to serve something like 500 premises means there is scope to borrow power from an existing VDSL2 cabinet and one of its spare fibres, thus avoiding the need for new spine cabling in some cases."

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 12

Re: Is this a g.fast Pod?

He knows a lot more about it than me. I’ve vaguely heard of it but as it’s not in the area I work in, that I know of and I don’t do Network Build. It’s probably been briefed out in the mountains of literature stuffed down our throats but I hardly read it.

I seldom go into RDSLAMS and the PCP Side Pods and if I do it’s only into the part with the Tie Pairs/Splitters to fix a DIS or change a faulty Splitter.

0 Ratings