Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Is this it ???

Hi,

Although I had reasonable ADSL through TalkTalk (15Mb download) I moved to BT Infinity 2 in September when they rolled out to my area. Unfortunately my nearest cabinet wasn't upgraded to fibre so I wasn't expecting the 'full monty' 80/20 but as part of the order process I was given the following information...

Your broadband speed
We estimate your download speed will be: 57.2Mb
We estimate your upload speed will be: 15.7Mb

So not as good as I'd hoped, but acceptable, and I went ahead with the order.  I appreciate those figures were an estimate, however, I'm getting nowhere need them.

Using http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ I was consistently getting around 42Mb upload with an IP Profile of 43.4Mb and 8.3Mb download with the IP Profile of 20Mb.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced my HH4 with a HH5 in a vain hope for a little more performance, but if anything its had the opposite effect!  I'm now getting 41Mb download with only 6.84Mb upload and the upload IP Profile has dropped slightly to 42.92Mb.  Apart from the brief power interruption when switching HH4 to HH5 the connection has remained stable.

From these forums I have just found http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome which gave me the following:

FTTC Range A (Clean)
Downstream 50.3 (High) - 35.8 (Low)
Upstream 10.4 (High) - 7 (Low)

FTTC Range B (Impacted)
Downstream 43.6 (High) - 21.8 (Low)
Upstream 10.4(High) - 6 (Low)

Obviously my performance is falling within these ranges - but only just in the 'upstream' area.

So... where on earth did BT get the originally estimated (and misleading) figures from?

The upstream rate seems especially low - but I can't find any explanation why.

I can't help but feeling slightly cheated.  I'm paying the same as customers getting the full 80/20 but for half the service!

I'm not looking for miracles here but just a little insight into just how the estimated figures are produced.

Any thoughts?

Paul

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is this it ???

Sounds/looks like you are on Infinity 1.

BTW, this is a customer to customer forum, the Mods do help, but don't expect it to be fast, for technical support you have to get in touch with BT.

HTH

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 3 of 11

I wouldn't say he is on Infinity 1, as he is getting over the I.P profile limit for Infinity 1, which is 39/9 I think. It looks like your line has just lowered speeds as some noise has been picked up on your line.

DLM may take anything up to 2-3 weeks to start increased speeds again. If you see no joy by then, contact tech support 0800 111 4567. If no joy from them I'm sure the mods will be willing to help.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

When you say you replaced the HH4 with the HH5 did you swap out the Openreach modem and just use the HH5 or have you connected the HH5 to the Openreach modem?

To confirm you are on Infinity 2 use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Infinity 1 has an IP Profile of 10Mbps and Infinity 2 is 20Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi

The Openreach modem and HH4 both swapped for the HH5, then left to settle.  Just that one fairly breif power outage (disconnected for about 10 mins) otherwise no other interruptions so I'd have hoped DLM shouldn't have been too much of an issue.

The speed results posted above are indeed from the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ site.

Quiet line test sounds ok too.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 11

Can you run the Further Diagnostics on the results page of www.speedtest.btwholesale.com ?

After you have input your phone number your IP Profile will be displayed. What does it say?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 11

If that is your IP Profile in your previous message it looks like your speeds are in Range B of your estimate. That indicates your line is impacted (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
If that is your IP Profile in your previous message it looks like your speeds are in Range B of your estimate. That indicates your line is impacted (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Yep, thats what the adslchecker page linkded to above says... but I still can't understand why the BT pre-order estimate gives a upstream rate over twice that of the more 'realistic' adslchecker page - also from BT.

Also, I forgot the add above, within a day or so of connection I was getting fairly close to my downstream estimate, and certainly 50Mbps+, but that dropped after a short while.  Now I can understand (as much as anyone can) the mysteries of DLM etc but, for me, its seems to be on an ever downward slope!

I guess I need to speak to BT.  Perhaps after Christmas eh....

Marry Christmas all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

This sounds like another case of a HH5 being ordered and  the  account being changed to Infinity 1  there have  been a mod contact.JPGfew cases like this recently on the forum 

Once the Forum Mods have read your post they will post an invite here once you reply to them they will take personal ownership of the problem until resolved.
Do not send them a Personal Message as this is the incorrect contact method and cannot be properly tracked also the mod contacted may not be on shift for sometime and this will delay your help

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 11

Hi Infinitized

I'll be happy to get this sorted out for you.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.