cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 44

Re: Is this really the best I'm going to get?

I agree with john46 the crc, hec and error seconds are really low for a connection of 2+ days and the fec is just interleaving doing it's job.  a reset of the noise margin to 6db should not cause a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gigabit
Contributor
Message 22 of 44

Well, okay then.

0 Ratings
markcollins376
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 44

Ok, update as promised.

2nd BT engineer came and stated that BB was a lot slower than I should expect despite the move of equipment in the cabinet, large number of errors on the line from the cabinet and made his way off to check.

Came back, reported that 4.5meg at cabinet on the estate and that unluckily for me mine was the opposite side of the road to a FTTC enabled cabinet so stuck with ADSL. Changed some equipment and was reporting that I had 2.3meg at the main socket.

Engineer then moved my main socket, firstly by doing the fibre adaptation and putting in a new faceplate in the lounge where BB is situated, unfortunately so much loss in the internal wiring (even cat 5 cable!) A lot of scratching at head was made before a decision was reached to run a new cable around the house and through the wall so main socket now in the lounge.

Connected up and still reading 2.3meg on engineers test equipment, stated that high noise margin and would ask for a reset, called up BT who set it to 6.5db and the modem would connect for a few seconds and re sync. After half hour or so the engineer took the decision to ask to set manually at 12db and the modem has been connected since.

Was told to leave well alone for 3-5 days and the noise should drop, if that was not the case then contact the mods and ask for a reset and it may then find its happy medium but after 5 hours the engineer wanted to leave it working when he left. Speed appears to be a bit up and down but at least so far I have a stable connection, a bit more speed would be nice but that's the update so far!

Mark

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state:
Connected
Connection time:
2 days, 19:45:24
Downstream:
1,952 Kbps
Upstream:
448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:
0/38
Type:
PPPoA
Modulation:
G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:
Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):
13.6 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):
55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):
16.5 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):
551924 / 126
CRC Events (Down/Up):
868 / 18
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):
HEC Errors (Down/Up):
1560 / 13
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 44

stats look ok apart from low speed and high noise margin.  I would now contact mods and get noise margin reset to 6db 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 44

I agree with imjolly contact the mods and ask for a noise margin reset
0 Ratings
markcollins376
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 44

7 days in, line still connected since the 2nd Openreach visit so appears good. Speed still fairly poor, receiving 1.5mb most days at best, appears still to drop to dead slow on occasion. Contacted by mods couple of days ago, stated that they would request noise reset to 9b to see if there was a speed increase as it was set at 12db for stability. Connection is still up and appears to not been done yet as I would imagine the connection would have reset itself. If the answer is still "it's due to the line just being noisy" who's responsibility is it to look into that and deal appropriately? ADSL Line Status Connection information Line state: Connected Connection time: 7 days, 05:25:57 Downstream: 1,952 Kbps Upstream: 448 Kbps   ADSL settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A Latency type: Interleaved Noise margin (Down/Up): 12.2 dB / 15.0 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 55.0 dB / 31.5 dB Output power (Down/Up): 16.6 dBm / 12.6 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 6685471 / 413 CRC Events (Down/Up): 9550 / 71 Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Loss of Link (Remote): 0 HEC Errors (Down/Up): 6752 / 91 Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 Thanks again for your help and advice Mark
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 44

just need to wait for the noise margin reset - thought is was to 6db rather than 9db

0 Ratings
markcollins376
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 44

The engineer set it to 6.0 and it kept disconnecting, was then set to 12 by the engineer to check it was running before he left. He stated as it had been set manually it may have to be reset manually, mods stated after 3 days they would try 9db but this was some days ago. As the connection is still up from the day the engineer left I'm guessing this hasn't been completed yet?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 44

no you are still showing a 12 db noise margin
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 44

resetting to 9db and if that stays stable then you can always repeat the exercise to reduce it to 6db.  if not happened in another couple days I would contact mods again

0 Ratings