cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Is upload speed (0.06mbps) causing my broadband to feel slow?

Hi

We are at the end of 1 mile of very ropey phone line, a long way from the exchange.  We are getting a download speed of about 1.6 mbps which is very fast for us (was only just over 1mbps for years), but it feels really slow when we use the internet.  Is this due to our upload speed having droped low to 0.06 mbps?

We previously had about 1.1 mbps download and 0.3 mbpd upload.

Now 1.6 download and 0.06 mbps upload - this feels slower????

Is the upload speed a problem?

Thanks

Diana

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Is upload speed (0.06mbps) causing my broadband to feel slow?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 17

Hi DianaB,

We await your speed test results with interest.

I am approximately 3.5 miles from my exchange and get 2.5Mbps on a line that has quite a lot of aluminium and many joints.

So, if you are DEFINITELY only 1 mile from your exchange you ought to be getting >1.6Mbps.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete phone number first  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Hi

Here are the test results, thanks for your help deciphering these. We are about 3 miles from the exchange, the last mile is very poor overhead wire according to the engineers.

SUTTON is served by Cabinet 6
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 5.9 3.5 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 4.8 2.1 1 0.5 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

we really need to see your ADSL STATS
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Hi

I have tried to find what you are asking for, nothing seems to be exactly according to the instructions, but I think these are the adsl status data that you asked for? The downstream and upstream are the same as I got from the speed test and mentioned in my original post.

ADSL Line Status
Connection information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 day, 06:23:07
Downstream: 1,504 Kbps
Upstream: 64 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.6 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.6 dBm / 10.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 171152 / 223
CRC Events (Down/Up): 3886 / 209
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 19517 / 201
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Hide Details
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

stats show 1.5mb connection speed and low upstream speed.  your attenuation is 63.5db which is a long line but many routers don't show attenuation higher than this you may be even futher from the exchange making 1.5mb a good speed for your line

can you connect to the test socket as shown in my original post

Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Hi
Yes connected direct to the master socket with the phone extension disconnected at the master socket.
1.5 download is very good for our location (check my original posting), but it feels slower than normal and I noticed that our upload speed is much less than normal and was wondering if this could be the issue and if so what we could do about it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results. 

btspeedtester