Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Issue with a wifi alarm module disconnecting from BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Lease time.  My lease time is set to 1 day 0 hours and yet the ComWifi unit still has 19 hours left and yet I reset it yesterday at 8pm - so either lease time runs for longer than 24 hours or its related to the to some other time point?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

Its now looking like it is a lease problem.  The lease expired last night and the ComWifi is now absent from the list of connected (or disconnected) devices.  I cannot use the app to log onto the system but am still getting notifications and can still ping the ComWifi.   Somehow once the lease expires on the ComWifi I loose the ability to connect to the unit via the app.  Can anyone explain this please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

I'm still confused about the lease time thing. There is no lease time involved if you have set a static address on the unit itself. Can you confirm you have physically set the IP address directly on the comwifi unit rather than setting it via the hub as 'always use this address' ? I wouldn't expect you to be able to see the device in the list of connected devices if you have set the address directly. I'm not familiar with the ComWifi unit so don't know if it is even possible to set the IP address directly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

Hi - I have attached a couple of screen shots:  one for the Com Wifi STA setup page showing the static address set and a second showing the HomeHub 5 DHCP page.  and one showing the fact that the address (192.168.1.99) is static.

The instruction for setting up the Comwifi are here: http://www.modernalarm.hu/termekek/INS644-Com-WiFi_Installation_Manual.pdf from page 9.

I agree it seems strange - the way you set the Comwifi up is to initially enable the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and then when you set up the panel that address is then fixed as a static address - you also fix that in the Homehub as static (is that unnecessary?) - but for some reason when the lease (that will be enabled initially) runs out the app stops communicating with the home hub in some way - I say 'in some way because I can still ping it and presumably thats happening through the homehub to the ComWifi unit?

Very confused and not helped by my lack of network knowledge.

comwifi 1.jpg

comwifi 2.jpgcomwifi 3.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

Try using a static IP address on the device, outside of the DHCP range. Try something like192.168.1.50.

Untick the "always use this IP address" as it may confuse the home hub.

It will eventually show in the device list with the new IP address shown as static.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

Page 13 of the setup guide describes how to set the IP address manually. You don't need to get an IP address via DHCP first. The instructions on page 11 are not needed if you assign an address manually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

OK - so I have now chosen an address outside of the DHCP range (so shouldn't be affected by lease times) and have changed the panel etc to reflect the new IP address.  I can now see the ComWifi at new IP address on list of connected devices but (obviously) I dont see it on the DHCP Table.   So now its wait and see if the app stops working........

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

index.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

As you probably realise, it will not appear in the DHCP table.

The device list is generated when the home hub issues ARP requests which says "Who is at IP address 192.168.1.xx" The device at that IP address will then reply with its hardware MAC address.

The home hub stores this information until the next ARP request.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

Update. So far the app continues to work flawlessly. So the move to an address outside of the DHCP range seems to have cured the problem. I did have a moment this morning after trying the app and it failing where I thought the 'old' problem was back but then realised it was because I had left Wintex connected. As soon as I disconnected Wintex the app started working again. So app successfully running for nearly 2 days. Will report back on Monday if app still working.

a thought - assuming this is a fix how do we let other people know how so they don't go down the same rabbit holes as I did? do we rely on them checking forums and finding this thread?

0 Ratings