cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jopnew
Beginner
Message 1 of 24

Issue with download speeds

I have been helping out a family friend in his 70's. His broadband speeds have dropped dramatically over the past couple of months.

We have tested everything.

1) We had a line check came back as OK

2) We checked and changed the filter

3) We checked the cable from the filter to the router

4) We reset the router

5) I have now tried the connection on two differenct machines.

We have checked everything.

The connection used to be fine. This only started happening when the exchange was upgraded to Infinity in our area.

I don't believe it is anything to do with our end, and I wish someone from BT could see if it is anything to do with the exchange, because something is not right here.

Take a look at the downstream, it is appalling. Any pointers.

Here are the stats

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 00:31:53
Downstream:    287.1 Kbps
Upstream:    1.126 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):    24.5 dB / 5.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    19.3 dB / 12.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    334 / 117
CRC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 16
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 89
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    0 / 2

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Issue with download speeds

you are in abanded profile due to either noise on the line causing drops in connection or to many manual resets trying to improve the speed or both.

are you connected to the master socket or preferably the test socket?  do you have any other sockets in other rooms?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless dull hum is normal

banding normally releases automatically if conenction ok and remains stable for 3/5 days with no resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jopnew
Beginner
Message 3 of 24

Thank you for your help. I can acutally try this tomorrow.

We are connected to the main socket. I presume I need to take the plate off the front and plug the filter in to the test socket?

If the speed improves in the test socket, what is the next step?

If the speed does not improve, what is the next step?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

the speed will not improve immediatley as I explained you are in a banded profile and that will take 3/5 days to release but conencting to test socket should eliminate any noise problems caused by internal wiring and help connection stay stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

hi this link explains more about your speed reduction http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html
0 Ratings
jopnew
Beginner
Message 6 of 24

Again thank you for your help. I will get back with results on Sunday and see if we can improve the speed.

0 Ratings
jopnew
Beginner
Message 7 of 24

Looking at the document, very helpful as well as all your replies I will do the following.

We both live in the same town and are on the same exchange.

I remember the upgrade happening. I got an increase of about 5mb, so I get about 14mb download speeds, while my family friend download speed went down.

This is what I will I do:

I will use the test telephone number for noise on the line.
I will then remove the plate off the socket and plug the straight in to the test socket.

We will leave this untouched for a period of 10 days.

If the download speed does not improve then this must be to do with the exchange?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

if possible can you post new stats after 3/5 days and see if the change to test has reduced errors and also line is still stable with no drops in connection

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 9 of 24

If it doesn't rise you will need to contact the moderators as your IP profile will be stuck which is rather quite common on ADSL. They will then reset your IP profile, then your speed should return.

Providing you maintained connected for 3/5 days as ImJolly said.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

ryant704

there is nothing wrong with the ip profile -- the problem is line is in a banded profile which is totally different.  it should release automatically but on odd times it does get stuck but time will tell

0 Ratings